Chapter 87 Hooters

Wei Ying and Lan Zhan made their way into the chaos that greeted them downstairs. They saw the massive doors broken and and in disarray, fragments of wood and bindings all over the threshold. And a group of perhaps fifty men and women dressed in golden sacks, sporting spears were trying to fight off the Scarlet Temptress as she wove in between them, changing her form into smokey fiery wisps and switching into her human form, annoying them as they tried to stab her.

Since their clothes were the most basic of attire, tied in knots on their shoulders, the Scarlet Temptress was busy undoing the ties, and Wei Ying wanted to laugh at her simple solution. The ones whose were now completely naked, had flung away their spears and tried to cover themselves.

The Scarlet Temptress was having the best time, giggling and laughing as she obeyed Wei Ying's express command of not hurting anyone unnecessarily.

But the new people who had come in fighting, had the strangest of features. While they were beautiful, with golden hair and golden skin - far too much on display, the most prominent were their noses. Huge, bulbous and easily covering most of their faces, they looked kind of funny.

"Omg..." Wei Ying could only let out that, gasping in laughter while Lan Zhan slapped a hand on his eyes and refused to look up because really....?

When the final clatter of the last spear fell onto the ground, the Scarlet Temptress arrived back next to Wei Ying. She bowed to him, her eyes still shining with amusement.

"Master, it is done."

"Thank you, YaoJing. As ever, you have proved to be the best. You may go." He told her.

"Master...May I stay?" She asked, hesitantly.

"Of course you can!" He told her, surprised. "You can do whatever you wish. And you don't have to call me Master. I've told you before, you are free."

"I know....but I like calling you that. I have never not had a Master...I would not know what to do. And I missed you. I will stay." She decided.

There was a groan from the fifty people who had wished she'd left.

"My dear new guests!" Wei Ying said in a louder voice. "We mean you no harm. As long as you wish the same for us, you may dress yourselves again. Then, let us talk."

"But what about the Winged Devils?"

"Are they subdued?"

"Who are these ugly people?"

These were just some of the comments during the hastily retying of clothes, though that last one had Lan Zhan itching to pull out the sheathed Bichen.

"They are dressed now, Master." YaoJing came and whispered, floating around in her smoky form, with just her red eyes visible.

"May we introduce ourselves?" A taller man than the others came forward.

Lan Zhan removed his hand and Wei Ying smiled gratefully at him before turning to  the stranger. The smile stayed on, though his hand intertwined with Lan Zhan's.

"You may." Wei Ying was now looking at a portly man, perhaps in his forties. His golden hair was receding and his sack, made from the most beautiful shimmering gold fabric, resembled the shifting sands of the dessert.

And then, there was his nose.

Truly, it was a work of art.

"We are Da Bizi, tribe of the dessert. We protect those caught in the traps of the Winged Devils." He bowed, eyeing their black and white robes.

"Wei WuXian and Lan WangJi of the Lan Clan." Wei Ying felt the tightening fingers of Lan Zhan's squeeze, and figured he would ask him about that later, as there seemed to be no imminent threat.

They bowed in greeting.

"Where are the Winged Devils?" The man asked, furtively looking around. "My name is Wu Bizi."

"Then, why don't you come with us? As you are so worried about them, it's probably best if you see for yourself." Wei Ying told him.

"You are very gracious...if a little...I am sorry about your face." He said, gravely, and with the utmost sincerity.

"Lan Zhan..." Wei Ying felt his face as titters broke out among the new people. "Is there something on my face?"

Lan Zhan turned fully to him and smiled, cupping Wei Ying's cheek with his free hand. "No. Wei Ying is very beautiful. As always." He would have kissed him but they were not alone.

Wei Ying beamed at him, while the laughter increased around them.

Wu Bizi turned and glared at them so they quieted. But they continued to smile.

"Alright then, follow us."

They led the way back up the stairs, two flights until the third floor. The Da Bizi people were quite animated as they climbed, but when they saw Dunshi, they were silenced.

Dunshi and Xiao Zei especially, were looking quite smug as they kept a watch over the vampires.

The Flowers of Venus straightened with their arrival. Greetings and introductions were made and then Wu Bizi faced the hissing vampires.

"This is the first time we have been able to catch them." He said loudly.

A cheer erupted from his tribe.

"Technically, you didn't." Hongse muttered under her breath.

"We usually destroy their nest and wait for them to create a new one." Wu Bizi looked thoughtful.

"Do they do it quite often?" Wei Ying asked. "And what exactly are they?"

"They feast on the blood of humans." Wu Bizi told him.

"This time, it was going to be special." Raina snarled looking at all of them from inside the bubble.

She had exhausted herself and was sitting in the bottom of it.

"Why?" This time it was Hongse who asked.

"Because of THEM!" Raina pointed at Wei Ying and Lan Zhan. "Immortal blood...we would have ruled forever!"

"Wow...that's just...incredibly selfish." Wei Ying muttered. "We even helped her get out of her mess."

"Mn." Lan Zhan glared at her.

"I can't believe you." Hongse said, feeling angry now. "You had a chance for a different kind of life...but...you betrayed us...betrayed me."

"If we were true soulmates, you would understand. You would have joined us." Raina replied, not showing one ounce of regret.

"And now, it is time to end you." Wu Bizi announced.