Chapter 121 Bounty

Wei Ying expected the cavern to be dark behind the wall of falling water.

When Hongse's array allowed them to land on the ground, she picked a place that seemed to be clear of any debris…but all around them, the ground was…moving?

It was the oddest thing, until Lan Zhan pulled out Bichen and by the light of its pale bluish glow, they were able to make out glittering shapes, moving in a solid line. There were little insects, rather like ants but big ones, almost the size of Wei Ying's palm…and they seemed to be blind. On the backs of each one, they were carrying…Wei Ying couldn’t believe it.

He picked one up, holding it gently. Lan Zhan moved his sword closer so Wei Ying could see by its light properly. It was very much like an ant, six legs and feelers, but on its back was a ruby. A big one, almost as big as his thumbnail. At the moment, the poor little thing was panicking, its legs flailing, and Wei Ying put it down quickly, only to pick up another one.

This one had a blue body, and the weight on its back was a brilliant blue sapphire. Similarly, all the insects were different colours and had matching precious stones on their backs. Wei Ying tried to move one from the body it was joined onto, but this caused the creature much distress, making it cry out.

"Does anyone know what they're doing?" He asked, clearly confused. "They're taking these gemstones somewhere…but they are not attached to the stones…as in not bodily…so then…?"

Puzzled, they watched the insects go about their business. One by one, they walked out of this cavern and followed an invisible trail, perhaps marked by some pheromone put down by their, queen led their way.

Careful not to further disturb the little animals, Wei Ying and Lan Zhan followed them, with the others keeping close behind. The cavern turned into a tunnel path, and seemed to go on quite far. And then suddenly, it opened up into a huge room.

Dark walls, damp and jagged, wet-looking and cold to the touch, rose up out of the ground and reached high up into the ceiling. Somewhere in the distance, they could hear the steady dripping of water falling from a great height. There was a melodious sound impacting the unforgiving granite upon which it was falling, making them feel a little on edge.

The insects carried on marching through but Wei Ying paused.

"Mn?" Lan Zhan looked at him, sensing his hesitation.

"I just thought…we've been walking for so long now, and normally Dunshi would be sleeping by now. I thought I heard him yawning." Wei Ying looked back to the rest of their group.

"If no one minds dry fruit and nuts for breakfast, we can eat something and go to sleep." Hongse replied.

"If we divide ourselves on both sides of these little creatures, we won't disturb them." Wei Ying decided.

So Dunshi and Xiao Zei stayed on one side of the room, and the Flowers of Venus surrounded Master Dashi and slept on the floor, after laying down some blankets.

"I will watch over everyone." Hui Gai said, watching Lan Zhan lay down the blanket from the Jingshi while Wei Ying cuddled Rumi in his arms, and Oge lay down with Klem. Li XiWang was holding Hui Gai's hand and trying not to yawn. He picked her up and held her close, smiling against her temple as she succumbed to sleep.

"Good call, to rest now." Hui Gai said softly, when he caught Wei Ying's eyes.

Wei Ying smiled back, pleased.

Behind them, a faint light glowed in the previous cavern, signalling daybreak and the sunrise.

Wei Ying also yawned as Lan Zhan motioned him over.

"I guess we got here just in time then." Wei Ying murmured, closing his eyes and making himself comfortable.

Hui Gai placed Li XiWang next to an already asleep Rumi, smiling as he watched Wei Ying reach across the children's bodies to clasp fingers with his husband.

Soon, they were all asleep.

Hui Gai glanced around the room, once more in wonder.

How many of these people were here just because of one man? His eyes found their way back to his friend, resting peacefully with his family.

Wei Ying, so selfless, so giving…it made those that came into contact with him, want to do something similar, to want to make a difference, however small.

To do something right, just because it was right…it took a strong person to uphold strong values, and throughout their life, stick to them, in spite of so many challenges every step of the way.

Ever since Wei Ying had first laid eyes on him, Hui Gai remembered that feeling, of seeing nothing but curiosity in his bright silver eyes. Such an intelligent man, yet so open minded, and open hearted.

Hui Gai felt swamped by all the feelings in his own heart, regarding his best friend. There was nothing he wouldn't do for him, nowhere he wouldn't follow.

Wei Ying had shown him another path, another way to live, and Hui Gai wasn't going to forget.

He could admit that in his short life, short for demons at least, he hadn't met many people, but those he had except for Wei Ying, had shown immediate wariness. It was hidden among other emotions close to fear…and dislike, but that he could put down to others of his kind having given the wrong impression and besides, having Wei Ying there meant he was safe.

Not that he couldn't level cities if he so wished, but it felt good having someone on his side. And now, it wasn't just Wei Ying, it was his husband, and his children, it was Oge and Klem, and it was their child.

It was his family.

He was theirs and they were his.