Chapter 144 Return

Lan Zhan’s face was characteristically stoic, no sign of what he was thinking was present, but in direct contrast was Wei Ying’s super expressive face, and unlimited questions dancing in his silver eyes.

"So firstly, if that guy, the Oracle, really is our Soothsayer, then I have so many questions for him! For example, why has he not told us any of this before? We have met at least twice now, and he's mentioned nothing of any of this...and what exactly belongs to us, that he has?" Wei Ying was so excited by all of this, that his words were tripping up over themselves to come out. "You know what he's going to say, don't you?" Wei Ying made his voice purposefully deeper to mimic the older man's. "All in good time, all in good time." He sighed deeply. "They're all the same."

"Mn. Vague." Lan Zhan agreed, distastefully.

"And his exact words were, the Light Bearer from the North and his Dark Angel?" Wei Ying beamed at his husband. "I'm yours." He giggled.

Lan Zhan simply smirked.

"I have no doubts that he was talking about both of you." Master Dashi continued.

"So let's have it then. Hand it over." Wei Ying extended his hand towards Master Dashi.

"What?" He asked, visibly confused.

"The feather. Please can we see it?" Wei Ying explained.

"I don't have it." Master Dashi said. "The Oracle took it. Actually, I'm not too sure what happened but the feather disappeared even as I was staring at it. And he also said that he would find you."

"Well, at least that's one less thing to worry about." Wei Ying said, settling back next to Lan Zhan. "I often wonder though, is everything predestined and are we unconsciously making our way towards some unseen event, or is it all accidental? Who decides?"

"What if it is a mix of the two?" Hongse said, looking at her Master.

"Mn." Lan Zhan said.

"Perhaps we were already on some already forecast path...but does it really matter?" Master Dashi said, brow furrowed in thought. "And yet, each decision we make can lead to so many choices...how can we say?"

While they had been chatting, the sun had plotted its course and was steadily sinking in the west.

"I can't believe it's nearly the end of the day." Hongbaoshi said.

"Mn. We should be getting back." Lan Zhan replied.

Wei Ying looked at Hui Gai and they seemed to hold a silent conversation in their minds. Hui Gai nodded imperceptibly and Wei Ying turned to the others.

"Then let's go!" He said, brightly.

"Just a moment." Hongse said, quickly. "Master Dashi, is there anything else you wish to know?" She filled him in on all the things she thought he should know.

He was most interested in visiting Cloud Recesses too, and learning about the Moon Tree and the new Mother tree which would be flourishing now.

"But I am most anxious to meet with my children. That wish remains the one closest to my heart." He did look more emotional at that. "And...I suppose that I am your grandfather, little one." He said to Li XiWang.

Wei Ying nodded at her, and she stood up and bowed to him out of respect.

Li XiWang wasn't too sure how she felt about him. So far and up until now, his sanity had been questionable. She had seen him singing and dancing, clapping his hands, and if the reason behind his actions was quite sad, it still didn't make her feel close to him.

So she stuck close to her fathers instead and maintained a polite distance.

"If we can get inside the giants' lair while they're asleep, that would probably be the best." Wei Ying was saying. To his children, he said, "stay with Auntie Hongse for now, once we reach there. We have to go and see to something with Hui Gai first, so when we get there, we'll just be a few minutes before we return."

"Alright, father." Li XiWang said happily, holding Rumi's hand. "We will do as you say."

He ruffled her hair and kissed the top of Rumi's bald head.

"Ready? Then let's hold hands." Wei Ying said, gathering everyone together.

Hui Gai waited until everyone was ready, and then in the blink of an eye, they were teleported back to Dunshi's hole in the wall. Xiao Zei sat up when they arrived, after dozing for a while.

Hongse had warned Master Dashi to keep as quiet as he could and not wake anyone, but even if he had shouted at the top of his voice, Dunshi's internal clock would not have allowed him to wake.

The reunion between Chihong and Xinghong with their Master was tearful and emotional, with much hugging.

Wei Ying watched them for a few seconds and then turned to Lan Zhan and Hui Gai.

"Shall we go?"

They nodded and Hui Gai transported them to the kitchens. It was a hub of activity in what was essentially the giants' daybreak. Servants were cooking and cleaning, and there was the normal chaos that reigned in a busy kitchen.

"Lucky Dunshi told us that Juda and his supporters take breakfast together. Now all we have to do is figure out which food is their's and we can do what we came here for." Wei Ying whispered to his companions.

"How will Wei Ying know?" Lan Zhan asked.

Wei Ying shrugged.

"Let's keep an ear out. If you pick up anything to do with Juda, then let me know."

There was much noise in the crowded kitchen as cooks yelled at their counterparts, shouting orders to those lower down the line. Saucepans rattled, lids were dropped, the hiss of hot oil sizzling over a fire and then sparks flying as ingredients were added. Interesting aromas filtered through the steam and hot air, drifting up towards where they were hidden, behind some heavy plates on the top most hard to reach shelf.

They were just above the stove where the meals were being cooked.

"Where's them kippers? We gotta fry them just right, for our leader." One cook yelled to another.

Hui Gai motioned towards the food below them.

"It'll be hard to hide the orange leaves on kippers." Wei Ying cautioned. "Hopefully they will be making some kind of soup or curry."

"Let's be ready. I don't think we'll have a lot of time to add the special ingredient when the time comes. Plus, didn't you say the treatment had to be administered fresh?" Hui Gai questioned, pulling out a few of the Jiyi Huifu plants.

"It does...but what if it's different for the leaves? We were told the flowers had to be freshly consumed, but the leaves might be more potent. Or less, we'll see. There's no telling what will happen after we add this...and it's really an experiment at the moment. If this doesn't work, we'll have to think of something else to persuade Juda to leave Rhouzhe alone." Wei Ying rubbed his hands in gleeful anticipation.

Now they only had to wait...