Chapter 154 Reunited

Shouts of "can I? Can I?" were heard as the four renowned cultivators approached the Elder's home.

While XiChen and Jiang Cheng went ahead, Wei Ying pointed to the Moon tree and Lan Zhan brought him there so they were both standing below its blooming leaves. Too cold for blossoms, the tree had new leaves sprouting in its branches and as if it recognised Wei Ying, it shook off the snow from some of itself and two clean branches came down to caress Wei Ying's face.

He closed his eyes, taking in the special scent that seemed to invigorate him, smiling when he felt her branches stroking his face as if to welcome him back. His hand reached out to her trunk, feeling her life force thrumming under his palm.

"It's good to be home." He whispered, feeling more settled than ever.

Cloud Recesses had burrowed its way into the deepest, most sacred part of his soul, and stayed there alongside his husband, and now whenever he thought of Gusu, of this place, he always thought of Lan Zhan too.

"That's lovely...but if you could kindly take your hand off my face..." Another way too familiar voice said.

Wei Ying's eyes snapped open, even as Bichen was drawn.

Lan Zhan moved in front of him so fast, Wei Ying was dazed.

"Porta Daven's beard? What are you doing here? Why are you here? More importantly, how are you here?" Wei Ying peered over Lan Zhan’s shoulder to the beard encrusted into the trunk of the Moon tree. He patted Lan Zhan’s sword arm. "It's okay, my love. It's harmless."

"Doubtful. It won't shut up." Jiang Cheng helpfully supplied, after coming back out.

"Ho ho, things are definitely looking up, if you know what I mean!" It laughed lecherously. "With all these hotties wandering around, it's a shock that there's still snow in these parts!"

Wei Ying made a face, feeling disgusted as he was dragged away by a pissed off husband.

"But Lan Zhan! I wanted to ask him/ it questions!" He whined.

"COME BACK ANY TIME! I'M HERE ALL WEEK...MONTH...YEAR!" The beard shouted, fading away.

It was suspiciously silent in Lan Qiren’s quarters.

"Silencing talisman?" Wei Ying correctly guessed, as Uncle Qiren enveloped him in a warm hug.

Lan Zhan bowed stiffly, still not having forgiven him for making Wei Ying cry in the past.

"Yes, otherwise that voice carries." Uncle Qiren answered, bringing Wei Ying to the table.

Li XiWang and Rumi were already there, and Wei Ying was pleased to see that out of all the places his children wanted to be, here visiting with Uncle was where they picked.

"I can imagine!" Wei Ying snickered.

"You look tired." Uncle Qiren said, his gaze narrowing. "Are you well?" He took Wei Ying’s hand and checked his pulse, concentrating.

XiChen watched the way Lan Zhan said nothing but his lips tightened into a straight line as if he was holding himself back. He poured fresh tea for everyone, making a mental note to ask his baby brother what was wrong...because something definitely was.

"Aha...ha...yes, I'm fine..." Wei Ying eased his hand away, taking up the cup with jasmine tea and sipping it slowly, feeling the warmth of it going down his throat.

"Wei Ying should be honest." Lan Zhan said, finally.

If there was something wrong with his beloved, it should be shared, especially if it was still unknown. These people were the closest to them, and perhaps they might have a solution. Plus, it eased his heart that they could if nothing else, confide their worries to them. It was the lightening of a burden, a worry that sat heavily on his shoulders.