Chapter 103 Daytime

Lan Zhan knew exactly when Wei Ying fell asleep again; his breathing evened out and there was that fraction of giving up control, of leaving his body in Lan Zhan's care.

Not that he would do anything to Wei Ying, just that Lan Zhan felt honoured to have so much of Wei Ying's trust, that he was so comfortable falling asleep around him.

Maybe right now, it was because of the poison and his body was still recovering, yet whenever Lan Zhan held Wei Ying like this, there were times that he was overcome with gratitude.

It could be the most ordinary things, like taking a bath together, or whenever Wei Ying would decide on a whim to do his hair, or if Lan Zhan was marking papers, he would come and lie across his lap like it was the most natural thing to do, and once again Lan Zhan would have that realisation that Wei Ying was really here.

Wei Ying was really here and still alive, and this was their second chance.

Grateful was not a big enough word to cover what Lan Zhan felt.

Most of the time, he could hide how he felt, because it came suddenly, a torrent of emotions that he had no control over, would have to wait for them to wash over himself until they had run their course.

It was like that now, and he felt himself trembling with the effort of holding himself in check, trying not to give in to waves of grief as they battled to gain freedom. He held Wei Ying tighter, making himself breath in deeply, the scent of lotus flowers and wine, a heady reminder that Wei Ying was also breathing, and very much alive.

Lan Zhan could feel the warmth of Wei Ying's body seeping through his own white robes, the steady heart beating to signify that his life force was strong.

Gradually, he calmed and wiped his face on his billowing sleeves. He was glad that this time, Wei Ying was out of it and did not bear witness to his break down.

These attacks, a tsunami of feelings, were further apart now, and less frequent, and Lan Zhan was already feeling much better now.

He stood up, easily lifting Wei Ying up into his arms.

The sunlight was becoming stronger in this later hour and Lan Zhan wanted Wei Ying to rest in shelter, for however long he stayed asleep.

Within the inner walls of the ruined temple, he placed Wei Ying on their blanket that Hui Gai had retrieved from the Jingshi and covered him with the second one. Then he sat down next to him and started to meditate.

One by one, the children including Klem, gravitated towards them and curled into his body. Lan Zhan smiled when he opened his eyes and saw his family.

Hours later, Lan Zhan was drawn out of his trance by a hushed whisper.

"My love...?"

Lan Zhan looked towards his husband and stifled the urge to smile. Wei Ying looked so cute, and kind of stuck because three babies were depending on him for warmth.

"If I get up...they'll wake." He added, keeping his voice low.

"Wei Ying should rest more." Lan Zhan encouraged. He extended the back of his hand to rest on Wei Ying's forehead, making sure the latter was not suffering from a high temperature.

"I'm really okay now, my love." Wei Ying lifted his hand and held Lan Zhan's, bringing it to his lips. "I'm sorry I worried you."

"Wei Ying has nothing to apologise for." Lan Zhan told him. "But whoever attacked, we'll make them sorry."

Wei Ying had the softest smile then. Lan Zhan was so protective of him, it made him feel cherished in the way that no one could do for him. And he knew that Lan Zhan was well aware of Wei Ying's battle prowess and still, he was ready to stand in front of him.