Chapter 66 Dinner

They were taken in another direction once they walked down that beautiful staircase in the foyer. The Palace seemed even bigger now, the white colour stark against the gold. Candles had been lit everywhere casting shadows on the walls.

The children were a little frightened; Wei Ying could tell from the way Rumi held his hand tighter, and no doubt that Li XiWang was doing the same.

His daughter had been through so much already and was so mature for her age, that Wei Ying often forgot she was only ten years old.

Another set of golden doors blocked their path and they waited for someone on the other side to open them.

A loud gong sounded and then the doors were opened. With his ears still ringing, Wei Ying stifled a snort at the meretricious display of wealth. The gong was the size of an elephant with two separate attendants looking after it. They placed their metal ringer underneath and stood to attention, though there was no more need of them.

This room, but it was actually more of a hall, was also decorated in white and gold like the rest of the Palace. A long white marble table was tight in the centre and the King sat on one short edge while the Queen was all the way on this side, at the other shorter edge.

They made Lan Zhan sit on the left of the Queen and Wei Ying was taken right to the other end, to sit next to the King. The children sat side by side in the middle, and Wei Ying was already feeling uncomfortable with this separation. He was worried that if their children needed anything, he would not be able to help them.

"Do not concern yourself with their meal, there are attendants for that." The King huffed.

Wei Ying smiled politely.

Aren't you glad we can still talk this way? He used his mental connection with Lan Zhan to pass the message.

Mn. Why have they separated us? It is disagreeable.

Same, my love, same. I hate sitting this far away from you, and the children.

He had to stop then, because two servants brought the children's food first.

"I thought if their needs were addressed first, you could concentrate on your meal." The King said softly.

"That's very considerate of you, your Highness." Wei Ying replied, wondering why he was speaking so quietly.

The Queen was also saying something to Lan Zhan and Wei Ying knew they would have to compare notes later. He watched the servants place food on the children's plates and fill their glasses with a dark, purpley brown liquid. Their plates had round baked flat bread with tomatoes and cheese, cut into triangle shapes.

"What's that and will they like it?" Wei Ying grinned to soften his words.

After all, royalty needed to be treated gently otherwise if their anger rose, there was no telling what the King would do.

"We call that pizza and the drink is cola. It's very popular around here, and I've yet to meet a child who did not like it." The King gave a gentle laugh.

The servants were coming to serve their food now. All four adults were given steaming bowls of blue soup.

Wei Ying eyed the interesting dish with curiosity.

"You have arrived on a very auspicious day." The King told him, picking up his spoon. "All the food will be of a blue colour today."

Wei Ying copied him, waiting until he had put the first mouthful in his before eating it himself. Plus he was aware that all the cutlery laid out on either side of his dish was meant to be used; he just wasn't sure which was for what, but he knew that in this case, his ignorance would pass for good manners. And he was hungry...