Chapter 91 Normal

The tufts of grass became sun burnt fields and they in turn, became greener and more alive as the travellers walked on. In the light of the moon, the grasses swayed in the autumn breeze, the wind carrying the scent of night jasmine to their nostrils. All around them, the hush of the night, the whispering branches of the trees and the rustling leaves sang a quiet song, one of peace and contentment.

"What's that?" Xinghong suddenly said, pointing into the distance.

Her sharp eyes had caught a line of lights, maybe flickering candles that were drifting in a pre-determined direction, going away from them. It was too dark to see anything more, but Wei Ying made Dunshi wait where the trees were the most dense, just in case they met trouble. As usual, Xioa Zei stayed with him.

Wei Ying was happy for both of them; it didn't seem anything more than a platonic friendship, but there was a lot to be said about friendship in general, especially if a person could confide their usual, everyday worries to.

Comradeship on the road and while travelling together forged closer bonds, the shared experiences creating a deeper understanding, and he thought it was one of the reasons why they themselves were friendlier with their fellow walkers. Loneliness was a terrible friend, one that slowed footsteps and abducted the will to carry on, whereas a happy friend was the one who walked in the same dusty footprints, able to suffer the same pains of not being able to quench hunger or thirst on a regular basis. The hardship aside, the fact that others shared the same fate made the difficulties lessen, at least mentally.

The lights were closer now and they could see a line of about twenty people holding candles and walking ahead. They deliberately made a little noise so the others would not be frightened, and sure enough, their leader paused.

They stood aside, waiting for the travellers to walk on ahead, but Wei Ying stopped and glanced at them.

No one looked happy; instead, their foreheads were pinched with worry, unease written in their eyes. They eyed the travellers warily, shuffling uncomfortably where they stood.

"Where are you going, grandfather? If you don't mind us asking..." Wei Ying said to him.

He looked like the village elder, and the spokesperson for the little group.

"We are going to the graveyard of our villagers." He answered politely, bowing.

The travellers were dressed in expensive if slightly dirty clothes, and it could be ascertained that they were cultivators, though how accomplished was still a mystery. The one in white, with his arm thrown possessively around the one dressed in black, looked equally powerful, an aura that swirled within their countenance, that perhaps introduced their skills even before a demonstration was needed.

"It seems a strange time to be going." The one in black commented. "Is there a reason for your nightly excursion?"

"Indeed. A while back, there was an untimely famine in these parts, and many of the villagers who lived here, most of them farmers, perished. The suddenness of their parting, and the way it happened led them to not die in peace, instead, they were confused and unsettled when they passed. Even after they were buried, while their bodies are under ground, their spirits rise up every night, demanding answers we cannot give. Every night, we take our priest and go to perform rituals which may or may not aid in their absolution. We are on our way now." He explained, still looking down in deferment.

Wei Ying looked at Lan Zhan and he nodded slightly.

"Grandfather, would you say your way has been effective?" Wei Ying asked them, looking around at their hopeful faces.

"No, unfortunately, our presence in the graveyard seems to add to their agitation. They are not at peace." He admitted.

"Then, might we make a suggestion?"

"Of course. We are at your service." He bowed again.

"Tonight, let us go in your stead. We may be able to help them and thus put your worries to rest, if you are willing to trust us. We are cultivators from the Lan Clan in Gusu, Cloud Recesses is where we live." Wei Ying introduced themselves.

Lan Zhan again had that unexpected wave of fondness for him, for his casual mention of the place he had grown up in, that he had always hoped would be a home to Wei Ying as well. Perhaps because in the past, Wei Ying had refused to come to Gusu of his own accord when Lan Zhan had first mentioned it, since there had been many misunderstandings between them in those days, the fact that it was mentioned in such a lighthearted manner meant everything.

"If you wish to..." The elder looked uncertainly at his fellow people and when one of them nodded, he turned back to the travellers. "But, due to our ongoing recovery from bad times, we may not be able to reimburse your services. We are sorry about our situation."

"Grandfather, if we are successful, then it would be our pleasure to help. As for the financial aspect, please do not trouble yourself. What kind of a world are we living in, if everything must depend on transactions?" Wei Ying smiled at him kindly. "We are no strangers to working for free, and we are comfortable in our means. We would be happy to help you on our way." He tapped his nose. "But there is something you can help us with."

"What do you need?"

"Information and perhaps a map?" Wei Ying explained. "We are strangers here, and none of us knows the way to where we have to go. But we can discuss this further, later when we return. Do you have somewhere, a place where our fellow travellers may rest while they wait for us?"

"Yes, if they will come back to the village with us, there is a large barn that lies empty, because of no extra crops this year. If they don't mind meagre dwellings, then they are welcome. Our village lies in that direction, and the graveyard, over there." He pointed to both to show his meaning.

"Then go with them and rest." Wei Ying told Hongse and the rest of them. "Wait for us to return, and otherwise you may explain to them where we wish to go, if they can shed some light as to where that might be, it would be appreciated."

"Will you need any help?" Hongse asked, readying herself to accompany them.

"No. Lan Zhan and I can deal well with whatever we find." Wei Ying reassured them.

She nodded and left with her master and the others.

Wei Ying linked his arm through Lan Zhan's and they began to walk in the direction the village elder had pointed to.

"Are you alright, my love?" Wei Ying asked, his voice purposefully serious.

"Mn."

"You say that...but I'm not so sure." Wei Ying replied, reaching up to kiss his soft cheek.

They walked in companionable silence for a short distance. Wei Ying began humming their melody, and it sounded sweeter in the stillness of the night.

"Miss the children." Lan Zhan suddenly said.

"I do too." Wei Ying sauntered next to him. "Is that why you've been irritable?" He asked after a while.

Lan Zhan had to think about that. Was he irritated? Maybe...it was hard to tell. He knew something was missing and like an eyelash irritating his eye, he was trying to find the answer. Something was niggling at his insides and until Wei Ying had actually asked him, he hadn't been able to put his finger on it. But now he was sure.

"Mn. Miss Rumi and Little Rabbit."

"Alright, let's finish up this job and then find somewhere to rest and food, and then we'll ask Hui Gai to return them."

"Mn."

"What do you think we'll find at this place?" He asked, twirling Chenqing.

"Dead bodies." Lan Zhan replied, dryly.

Wei Ying smirked.

They would have to bring the children back faster at this rate.