Chapter 138 Mountain

There was a stiff breeze here on the mountainside, with no trees or shrubbery to protect them. The sun was still shining though, and that kept them warm. When Lan Zhan noticed Wei Ying shivering a little more than everyone else, he whipped out a Cloud Recesses coat, lined with fur with a hood.

He had predicted that their return from this trip would have Gusu and their home submerged in snow, and he hadn't wanted Wei Ying to be cold. Luckily, that coat was coming in useful now, though they were miles away from home.

While the others looked around, Lan Zhan quickly slipped the extra garment around Wei Ying's shoulders and fastened the buttons, securing the belt around his waist.

Wei Ying had smiled at first, but it gradually disappeared, and he stopped Lan Zhan from turning to see what the others were doing.

"My love...what's wrong?" He asked.

Lan Zhan had thought he had masked his disappointment well, but only Wei Ying could read him better than his brother could.

"It is...unimportant." He said, his voice too quiet.

"I won't be insulted, because you didn’t mean it that way." Wei Ying burrowed into his chest, snuggling closer because he wished to make Lan Zhan feel better. "But you should know, your reluctance to tell me what's bothering you, it feels like you're shutting me out...and it's...it's painful. I tell you everything that happens to me, more so now because I've learned that marriages mean to share. And then by that logic, you have to tell me too. If you don't then I'll be worrying that it's something I did."

Lan Zhan’s arms came around him tightly then, holding him close.

"You can hold me tighter, you know." Wei Ying smiled softly at him. "I won't break."

Lan Zhan smiled, a fond look upon his face as he complied.

"Wei Ying has done nothing wrong." Lan Zhan explained. "It's just..." He mumbled something not quite loud enough for Wei Ying to hear.

"Could you please repeat that? And this time, no hiding your face? I promise to pay attention properly now." Wei Ying reached up with one hand to hold his face.

"I am disappointed because...because I never got the chance to hold Wei Ying...when we came up here. I shall...get over it."

Wei Ying stared disbelievingly at him, even as Lan Zhan leaned into his palm.

"You mean...just now?"

Lan Zhan hid his face, nodding.

"Sweetheart...it was just for convenience, I swear....how about this? What if I promise you that you can carry me as much as you like when we get home?" Wei Ying kissed his cute nose, smiling because Lan Zhan was so sweet.

He continuously managed to surprise Wei Ying with all his gestures, big and small, and every day, Wei Ying fell more and more in love with this delightful man.

It appeared to be the right thing to say because Lan Zhan smiled at him.

"Wei Ying has promised."

"Yes, I have....wait a minute! Lan Zhan, I don't mean all the time!" Wei Ying had started off smiling but the implications of his promise dawned on him and the lengths that Lan Zhan could go to...

Lan Zhan beamed at him, thoroughly enjoying himself as he saw the moment when the light went on in Wei Ying's head. He was going to have so much fun! And promises were forever...

He leaned in and kissed those cherry lips quickly, mindful of the people around them.

"No taking it back. And sealed with a kiss." Triumphantly, he wrapped an arm around Wei Ying's waist and turned to face this new scenery.