Chapter 70 Escape

Hui Gai returned to the room he had originally appeared in and beamed at his friend, holding out his arms. His sharp hearing caught the words, "again?!" And he grinned at Lan Zhan, knowing full well where they came from.

Wei Ying grinned back and hugged him.

"Why did it take you so long?" He wondered.

"I had to make sure we wouldn't be pursued." Hui Gai told him. "Let's get out of here."

"Agreed." Wei Ying turned to the Queen. "Your Highness, are you absolutely sure about this? It's not too late to change your mind."

Hui Gai's smile faltered, and Wei Ying gazed at him sharply at his indrawn breath.

"What did you do?"

"I didn't kill anyone!" He replied defensively, the ghost of a smile playing on his red mouth.

"You know, out of everyone, you say that the most." Wei Ying accused.

"At least you know I'm not lying."

"Small mercy...I have to ask myself, do I really need to know?"

"No." Hui Gai answered for him, knowing he had won. "Why don't we just get with our lives?"

"Fine." Wei Ying rolled his eyes and looked at the Queen.

"I am sure." She said, her voice firm and strong. "And please, do not call me by my title. My name is Raina."

She looked surprised at that, her lips silently speaking her name over and over like a long forgotten taste.

"Nobody has called me that in twenty years." She laughed awkwardly. "You must think I'm strange."

"Don't worry about that!" Li XiWang giggled. "We're all a bit strange here."

Rumi smiled, as Wei Ying laughed openly at that.

"She's not wrong. Then Raina, I'm pleased to meet you. My name is Wei WuXian. And this my husband, Lan WangJi, my children, Li XiWang and Rumi. And this Hui Gai, he's also part of my family." He bowed after introducing everyone.

"I would like to apologise...to you all. For my husband and what he said. It was inappropriate and insensitive." Her eyes filled with tears.

"Raina...please do not distress yourself. You cannot take responsibility for someone else's behaviour or their feelings. We are only in control of ourselves. What kind of rubbish cultivators would we be, if we didn't understand that?" Wei Ying looked around. "To be honest, being here still creeps me out. Let's go back to the others and then we'll talk. There's lots to tell you." He smiled kindly.

"Mn." Lan Zhan picked up Rumi.

"WingAnLaZhan?" He asked.

"Mn. We are going back to the others." Lan Zhan told him.

"Little rabbit?" Hui Gai crouched down, opening his arms and Li XiWang ran to him, kissing his cheek.

"I really missed you!" She told him, her eyes shining brighter than normal.

"Hey!" He tapped her nose with a grin. "That's your fault. I told you, you can call me anytime. I meant it."

"But I thought you would be busy." She looked around, her burgundy eyes big and wide as she pointed to the ground. "You know, down there!"

"I am busy, but never too much for you. I missed you too." His red eyes gleamed with the seriousness of what he was saying. "It wouldn't hurt my ego to know you wanted to see me too, Little rabbit. And I know for a fact, Oge and Klem missed you buckets too."