TWENTY-NINE

"SO, what's going on with Tory?" Hawk asked.

"I haven't heard from her in like, four days, so I have no idea what's going on." Lucia replied.

"Well you better figure it out because she's hot." Hawk smirked.

Lucia threw a french fry at the boy. "You truly are an asshole."

"What? Do you want me to say you're hot too, because I will."

She threw another french fry at him.

"How about you? How's your love life?" Lucia asked. "I heard you got some action at Moon's party."

"Hell yeah I did, but after the school fight...Girls have been acting weird." Hawk mentioned.

"Maybe it's because Dem beat your ass." Lucia replied.

Hawk threw the french fry this time. "Oh fuck you, Parker."

"I bet you'd like to." Lucia smirked.

"Don't make me fight you right here in the middle of the diner."

"I'd like to see you try."

"You think I couldn't?"

"No, I just think you'd lose."

"Oh you're on."

"Give me the time and place and I'd be there."

"Oh I will."

The pair laughed and continued eating, it feeling nice to be friends again.

🌈

Lucia walked up to Tory's house to see her finishing up talking to her landlord.

"That caretaker thing is the only reason you're not in juvie. Yeah, I heard about that cat fight that got you expelled." The landlord reminded.

"You don't know anything about that."

"That boy you two fought over—."

"Don't talk about him."

"Or that blonde who I see you dragging around. What's her name? Lucy?"

"Take her name out of her mouth."

"Love. You see if you had a real person to love you—."

"Oh that's it. Hey asshole, how about you get the fuck out of here!" Lucia exclaimed.

"Not until I get my rent, or something else."

Lucia kicked his legs right out from under him, the man falling.

"You want the rent? Here, take it!" She pulled out some money from her pocket and threw it at the man.

He grabbed the cash and stood up, waving then walking away.

"Tory—."

"I don't need your help, Lucy. Go home." Tory ordered.

"No, not until you tell me why you've been ignoring me." Lucia replied.

"I've been busy taking care of my mother. Not all of us have it easy." Tory said.

"You think I have it easy? What, because I live in a nice house? Because my mom used to have a nice job? Well, she left, and she's making way less money than she was before. And as for my dad, he's gone. Look, I know I don't have it as bad as you, my life is a cake walk compared to yours, but we all have our shit."

"Fine, everyone struggles, but I don't need you to fight my battles, when I can fight my own. Go home, Lucy."

"No." Lucia grabbed her arm. "I'm not leaving you. This is what I do for the people I love. I love you, Tory and I'm not going anywhere."

Tory sighed and Lucia pulled her in for a hug, rocking her back in forth.

"Come in. I need you." Tory whispered.

"Of course."

The two girls went inside, then sat on the couch.

"So you're back to school?" Tory asked.

"Yeah, but it was miserable. I could barely go up the stairs without puking, and then I was panicking, so I took the back stairs and tried to call you, but there was no answer which I don't blame you for at all." Lucia explained.

Tory felt guilt in her stomach. She was the one who made Lucia feel so scared. How could she live with that.

"I'm sorry." Tory apologized.

"Tory apologizing? I'm shocked." Lucia teased.

"I'm being serious, Lucy, I'm sorry. I'm the one who messed you up like this." Tory apologized.

Deep down, Lucia knew it was true, which is one of the reasons why she was so angry, but she loved Tory. She couldn't be angry at someone she loved.

"Stop. Tory, don't, I—."

"Tory?" Her little brother spoke up.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"Mom needs you."

"Okay. I'll be back, Luc."

She planted a kiss on the girl's lips, then went to her mother's room, leaving Lucia sitting there on her own.

About fifteen minutes later Tory came back out, a fake smile on her face.

"Is everything alright?" Lucia asked.

"Yup." Tory lied.

Lucia gave her a look and Tory sighed.

"No." She shook her head.

Lucia grabbed the girl and pulled her in her arms.

"You know, you're the first person I've ever really opened up to and could be...soft with." Tory pointed out.

"Good. I'm glad you feel safe with me."

"Me too. It feels good that I can be truthful with you."

"I love you."

"I love you more."

They shared a quick kiss, then continued lying there together.