THIRTY-SEVEN

"LUCY, if there's no one home at your place, I can swing by and we can have some fun. I know I already texted you, but you haven't answered so I thought I'd just call you. See you later, babe."

The voicemail ended and Lucia clicked on the next one.

"I saw Miguel the other day when I was going to work. The conversation went shitty. Anyway, I haven't seen you at karate and you haven't been by, which is so weird of you. Call me back. Bye."

Swallowing, Lucia clicked on the third message.

"Okay, Lucia, what the fuck is up with you? This is my third time calling you and I've sent you a dozen messages and there's no reply. Are you good? Just fucking call me."

Lucia lied her head back and clicked on the final message that Tory left last night.

"Lucia Parker, if you have something to say, come say it to my fucking face instead of hiding from me. Don't be a bitch and don't let there be a problem between us because you know what'll happen if there is."

Lucia sighed and rubbed her eyes. She was going to have to talk to Tory at some point, it was inevitable. Especially because they weren't officially broken up yet.

Exhaling shakily, Lucia pressed Tory's contact and the call went straight to voicemail.

"Hey, Tor, is me Lucy, I'm sorry for avoiding you. Let's meet after I get out of school? I l—. I'll see you. Bye."

Lucia hung up and tossed her phone on the bed.

"Lucia, let's go! You still have to hang up that sign for Miguel!" Lucas shouted.

"Coming, Lukie!" She smirked.

"Don't call me that!"

Lucia giggled and threw on the first outfit she could find before grabbing her bag and phone and hopping down the stairs.

When she got downstairs, she noticed that he was aggressively typing on his phone, then sighing and putting it away.

"Who was that?" His sister asked.

"No one." Lucas lied.

"Uh, okay. Let's go then."

"We have to wait for dad."

Lucia stopped in her tracks and spun around. "Why?"

"Because he's driving us." Lucas answered.

"I thought his car was—."

"Not anymore. Got it cleaned and repaired."

"Oh. Well—."

Just then, Zach walked into the kitchen.

"You kids ready?"

"Yup."

"I'm biking!"

"Oh, Lucia, come on. It's one car ride. Please?" Lucas begged.

"Fine. Whatever."

"Thank you." Zach smiled.

The three went into the car and Zach drove his two kids to school in silence. Lucia stared out the window the whole time, waiting for the misery to be over.

"Thanks, Dad." Lucas thanked.

"Bye, Luke. Lucia, hang back for a bit."

Lucia sighed. "Fine."

Lucas left the car and Lucia climbed to the front.

"It may not seem like it, but I love you. You're my only daughter and will always be my only daughter. I'm not going to ask you to love me or bribe you to love me, but I do
love you. So much. You know, I was the first person to hold you when you were born. I talked to you too. I said 'no matter who or what gets in the way, or whatever mistakes I make, you're my daughter and nothing will change that. Nothing.' You were a beautiful baby too, with big blue eyes. Besides when Lucas was born, that was one of my favorite moments in the world. When you kids were born. As for the wedding, I'm sorry. I was influenced by a lot of people and I should've put my kids first. I love you more than anything."