FOURTY-NINE

"DID we really have to come to this?" Sam asked Amanda and Leah.

"Uh, Sheila's worded for us for ten years, she's practically family. Anyway, you used to love to babysit Cindee." Amanda replied.

"Okay, that's fine, but what's you're excuse, Mom?" Lucia asked.

"Because it is the right thing to do. Sheila is my coworker and has been nothing but kind to me as well as you kids." Leah explained.

"What about Lucas?" Lucia folded her arms.

"Your father took him out for the day. He doesn't see him much and he doesn't talk to your father nearly as much as you do. Could you at least pretend to be happy?"

Lucia fake smiled to her mother.

She then looked over and saw Tory in a mermaid costume.

Sam smiled and Leah and Amanda exchanged looks.

"Wow."

"Please don't tell me you like it?" Sam whispered.

Lucia shook her head. "No. She looks silly..."

"Did I say that this was the last place I wanted to spend my Saturday? I meant the first." Sam smirked.

Lucia sighed and pretended to go to the bathroom, but went outside to make a phone call.

"Hello?"

"Hi. Um, I know you're probably gonna hate this, but I could use a big distraction right now." Lucia said.

"Distraction from what?" Moon asked.

"Oh god, you're really gonna hate this. Um, I'll text you the address, but until you get here, wish me luck?"

"I have no idea what's going on, but good luck."

"Thanks."

Lucia then hung up and went back inside. Sam immediately grabbed her hand.

"Come on. This is gonna be the best day ever."

🌈

"The prince did everything he could to climb the mountain, but the dragon carried me there so he could eat me alive. But then the valiant prince came to my rescue."

Tory was telling a story to some little kids as Lucia and Sam sat alongside listening.

"Is that the prince you stole from another princess?" Sam asked.

"The other princess wasn't dating that prince anymore. Anyway—."

Lucia looked between Sam and Tory. Maybe this could be fun.

"Or was this the 'prince' that you 'accidentally' cut her poor stomach?" Lucia asked, then looked out to the kids.

Tory looked over at Lucia, hurt on her face, then looked back to the kids.

"Anyway, uh, the dragon breathed hot fire at the prince, melting his sword. So, now I had to save the prince—."

"You did real great at that." Lucia muttered.

Tory looked over angrily.

"What did you use? A spiked bracelet? Or nunchucks?"

"No, by singing a magic song."

"Oh, and how did the song go? Can you sing it?" Lucia asked.

"Yeah, sing us the song!" A little girl exclaimed.