FIFTY-FIVE

THE day of the All Valley Tournament was now upon them.

Lucia was one of the only girls in Eagle-Fang, Devon Lee was there as well, but everyone knew she wasn't as good as Lucia. So, the weight of the woman's championship was resting on Lucia's shoulders. She knew she was going to have to fight friends. Enemies. That was hard, but this was what karate was all about, wasn't it?

Lucia let out a breath and shook her hands. She was backstage in her red gi with her hair tied back in a ponytail. Miguel was standing next to her with Johnny in front of them.

"Hey, Lucia, you okay?" Miguel asked.

"Huh? What? Oh, yeah, fine. Just thinking about fighting. Tory called me this morning. She's fighting today too. I might have to fight her. It—."

"Lucia."

"Yeah?"

"You're ranting."

She shook her head.

"Shit. Sorry."

"Hey, don't apologize. You're nervous. It's normal. If you try not to think about the bad parts so much, it'll be okay. Just think about something that makes you happy." Miguel suggested.

"Yeah—yeah, I will. Thanks." She fake-smiled.

But what if what made her happy also made her sad and angry?

"And finally..."

"This is us, Eagles. Get ready." Johnny whispered to them.

Lucia let out a breath and shook her head.

"...this dojo is making their All Valley debut, though you'll recognize a few familiar faces. Every year, a new dojo rises up the ranks. Does this newcomer have what it takes to win it all? Please welcome, Eagle Fang Karate! Led by sensei Johnny Lawrence and defending champion, Miguel Diaz!" Daryl introduced.

Johnny began walking out and the rest of his students beside them. They stood next to Miyagi-Do and Lucia looked over to her friends.

Eli and Demetri gave her a nod and Sam gave her a small smile.

"At the end of the day, only one of these dojos can be crowned Grand Champion. Welcome to the 51st annual All Valley Under-18 Karate Tournament!" Daryl yelled.

Everyone started jumping up and screaming.

"It's karate time."

Before the rightist started, Johnny gave his students a speech.

Lucia tried listening, but her eyes kept moving up to the crowd where Moon was then across the mat where Tory was.

When she looked over to Tory, she looked back at her, then away again. When she looked at Moon, the girl was too busy smiling and looking around at everyone and everything.

"Yes, sensei!" The Eagle Fang's exclaimed.

That made Lucia jump.

"Okay, go warm up. Eagle Princess, a word." Johnny said.

Lucia looked behind her at Miguel, then walked over to Johnny.

"What's up? What's going on with you?" Johnny asked.

Lucia shrugged. "Nothing. Just didn't sleep good."

That wasn't a lie, but there was something else going on with her.

"Well then go splash some cold water on your face. I need you to be your best. You're one of the only shots we have at beating Cobra Kai. Of course I have Diaz, but that's for the male competition. I need you ready for the female competition. After you we have Lee. She's good, but she's not you. Go get yourself ready, do what you have to do."

Lucia nodded. "Yes, sensei."

She then bowed before walking over to Miguel.

"What was that about?" He asked.

"Nothing. Just a pep talk." She replied with a half-smile.

He nodded and turned away from her.

She let out a breath that she didn't know she had been holding in.

She didn't want to be here. She didn't want to fight. But she also didn't want Cobra Kai to win. That was exactly the problem, though. She felt like karate and Cobra Kai and Moon and Tory were defining who she was, but they weren't who she was. She wanted to find out who she truly was, but she didn't know how. So, she decided she would stay and try to beat Cobra Kai.

The lights dimmed down and Daryl came back on the mic.

It was time for the All Valley to begin.

AUTHORS NOTE
hey you guys. i know i haven't updated in a while and i wanted to give y'all something so here it is!

more coming soon.

muah,
lea <3