Chapter Thirty Eight (.5)

38 – Let Me Be The One Part 2

'We just have to say our love was true but has now become a lie. So I'm telling you I love you one last time... and goodbye.'
– Let Me Be The One Song

~*~

Silence.

I always thought I loved the aura it beholds but being with Justin in the same car with no more than the sound of the screeching tires as he drove dangerously fast, I couldn't help but to think that I wanted to jump off the vehicle than facing his wrath. My grip on my seat belt was too tight as I held my breath from all the curves and blocks Justin were swerving into. I almost thought we were about to get arrested due to Justin's going over pass the speed limit but I haven't seen any police until the car screeched in front of Justin and I's house.

A deep breath escaped my lips until I heard Justin getting out of the driver's seat and slammed his door shut. I couldn't move. I didn't want to. But he left me with no choice when he opened my car door, gesturing for me to come out. Never did I once meet his gaze but I did follow him behind as he went inside the house. I bit my bottom lip. This talk may be the last time we'll ever have the guts to face one another and I'm so damn afraid and scared. No. Not because he's mad or furious but because as soon as this day ends, I might not able to see him again. I'm afraid this will be the last time until then.

When he opened the door, a complete silence welcomed us in. I wonder where Nana was but then again, I guess it was for the best since I didn't want anyone to witness such confrontation.

I watched Justin stopped at the living room, his rigid back facing me. If possible, I felt anxious and nervous even more though I tried to tell myself to be strong until this storm passes by. After which then maybe, I can finally see the rainbow after the tears had been shed.

"Did you plan it?" He started. His voice was hushed yet he demanded to know the answer. "Since when did you talk to the lawyer? Since when..." He paused. "Since when did you want that divorce?"

Be strong Andi. Be strong.

"Isn't that what you always wanted? From the start... since the beginning of this marriage...wasn't that the thing that you always wanted? I just made it easier and more convenient for you. I signed it. The deal is off. I'm not your wife anymore. You can finally love ---" I briskly stopped when he threw a vase on the wall, making a loud crash echoed through the whole house.

"Fuck! You fucking signed that shit piece of a paper without fucking telling me?!" He yelled as his furious glare met mine. I gritted my teeth. He was so damn mad. "When I signed that divorce paper you were there! I fucking told you!"

"Was that supposed to make me feel better Justin?" I asked. "Was that supposed to make everything alright? Isn't it fucked up that even before this marriage started you fucking signed those papers even without---"

He cut me off. "You were the one who wanted this marriage. Now you're the one who wanted out?" He scornfully chuckled. "What Andrea? Are you the only person who can decide in this marriage? That whenever you want or want out, it just always depends on you? Don't I fucking have a choice?!"

"Yes! It was my fault!" I yelled back. "From the start it was my fucking fault! I know I took everything from you. Your freedom. Your decisions. The girl you love. But now... but now I'm giving it all back. I'm giving back your name. I don't want it anymore. I don't want---"

"Why?! Is it because of Jacques?! Did you finally---"

"Maybe!" I clenched my teeth as I prevented myself not to cry. "Maybe I realized now how worthy Jacques' love is for me. Maybe I realized that I deserved the love I ought to have. Maybe I really didn't love you. Maybe I realized I love him more than---"