Chapter Seven

7 - Almost Is Never Enough

~*~
'Why would you choose someone who wouldn't choose you?' - Anon
~*~

"You said what?!" I watched as Scarlet dramatically stood up from her seat. She had her hands placed on top of the table.

"Shhh!" I hissed, grabbing her wrist while pulling her back on her chair.

"This is a library not a place to chitchat Ms. Anderson, Ms. Price." The librarian, Miss Stevenson — also known as Cat-lady (few students around the school branded her the name since apparently she houses around 20 cats at her place) — scolded. Her stern look sent scary chills with her clean updo bun and piercing black eyes.

"I'm sorry Miss Stevenson, Scarlet just can't help but to exaggerate when she invests too much emotions from reading books." I shrugged. "Authors and their abilities to hook readers."

"Absolutely." Scarlet nodded. "Can't help but react when characters make unintelligent decisions." I almost glared at her but I couldn't since Miss Stevenson was standing in front of us so I kicked her under the table. "Ouch!"

"Miss Anderson." A warning laced under her tone. In response, Scarlet placed her finger into her lips and acted as if she's zipping her mouth. "One more noise and the door is wide open." Miss Stevenson stated as she turn around and disappeared in a corner.

"Thanks Andrea. I really appreciate the kick." Scarlet muttered dryly. "But that doesn't erase the fact that you just comitted the biggest lie in your entire life and I wasn't there to witness how stupid it was."

"Well you're here now telling me how dumb the idea is so you're welcome." I said nonchalantly.

"You were drunk and you told them you're pregnant. Make it make sense."

"There are people who drink not knowing they are pregnant."

She rolled her eyes. "We all know you're not that reckless Andi."

"I said I wasn't ready for the responsibility and it got to me and I was in a club with all these irrational emotions building inside so I thought alcohol would make me forget."

"And what did they say?"

"Pattie cried. She will support and be there 100%. Jeremy told Justin to watch over me more. Dad was just silent."

"I mean you just discreetly told them you and Justin had sex." She stated. "If that isn't any dad's nightmare... Well you two are married. It's bound to happen one way or another."

I felt my soul recoiled at Scarlet's statement. "Sometimes I do wish you don't notice the small details.

"And Justin?" She pushed, brushing me off.

I sighed. "He didn't agree nor deny it."

"Huh." She huffed. "Do you remember anything from that night?"

"No. It was all hazy."

She then looked at me, pondering for a moment before she heaved a sigh. "You're a crazy drunk."

My eyebrows furrowed. "What?"

"You kissed Jacques on the cheeks." I felt my jaw dropped. What the heck. "Poor guy. I thought he would have a heart attack."

"No way I did that." I hissed.

"Then you started plucking his eyelashes. It was funny." She giggled as she recalled the memory but my mind was gravitated back on her last statement.