Chapter Nine

9 – A Promise of a Fragile Heart

~*~
'What if we fell in love at the wrong time?' - Anon
~*~

It's because of the little things. What huge difference it makes between what is said than done. It melts the doubt away, overlooking yesterday's pain as if it didn't happen.

He cares.

I'm not naive to brush off that for most part, he hates me.

But, he cares.

And no matter how small it is, at least for me, it's enough.

...Is it?

"Justin." We broke our contact as Pattie called his attention. I saw her blue-green eyes asking in curiosity and worry. "What happened on that bruise?"

Oh no.

I was too engrossed at the fact that we're going to lie again about the pregnancy, I forgot a recent incident was added on our cart.

Maybe it wasn't me who perfected the art of twisting truths because Justin did not look even one bit intimidated or nervous.

"Jacques punched me."

Okay.

Okay?

I'm taking back what I just said.

"What?!" Erin had her eyes widened in surprise. "Jacques did what? W-why? When?"

"I punched him first." His tone bleak in concern.

"Is there something going on between the two of you?" Pattie demanded, wondering what could possibly be the reason behind the fight.

"He's just annoying."

"Justin!" Pattie warned. "I did not raise you to harm people just because you dislike them. I'm so disappointed right now."

Justin clenched his jaw and remained silent beside me. He did not speak as he listened on her mother's outbursts. I would've said something... defend him, make excuses. But I couldn't. I was never good with the truths. Because more likely than not, it always ends up being a disadvantage on my part.

"And was Andrea there?" Pattie asked. The exasperation clearly in her voice. When no one answered her, she heaved a sigh. "Justin you're going to be a father. I know this is all too sudden but please, have some sense of responsibility over your family. Andi's pregnant..." I flinched. "... don't let the baby hear inexplicit things or grow in a violent environment."

"I'm going to talk to Jacques." Erin added. "I'm disappointed in him as well... whatever the reason is. Violence is never the answer."

"You boys need to fix this. You're cousins. A family. Your father will not like this even one bit Justin Drew."

Pursing my lips, I decided to speak. "Its just a small misunderstanding Pattie. Words were thrown in heat. I'm sure they just need time to admit their own mistakes."

She exhaled. "I just don't like when you kids fight. You all grew up together. I hate seeing that bond break just because of a disagreement."

Huh. I mean who would've thought we're all gonna be wrapped up, by life, in a way someone likes somebody else? As we easily get access to things, been privileged enough to experience life in luxury... there has to have a curve somewhere. A balance that needed to remind we're all human beings who are flawed and imperfect and incomplete.

But on the other side, although one may lack financially, there is abundance in friendship or in family or in love. And vice versa.

In our case, its the latter part. And people will see it in different perspectives, depends on what shoe would fit the most.