Chapter Six

6 - She's what?

~*~
'Meeting you will never be my regret. Tolerating the ways you hurt me always will be.' - j.b.
~*~

It's true when they say that you die more than once in a lifetime, because there will be moments that'll bend you... scrap a part from the fraction... take the fire out of your soul... make your heartbeats stop. That tiny millisecond you get to die. And then you come back to face reality again. Pretending that it didn't kill you. Because no one notices. At least from the person you expect that'll care the most. And that's where you die again. Because they don't.

I can't look away. No matter how I pushed my insides to do so.

He's here. She's here. In front of me.

I felt as if time stood still and only the three of us --- Selena, Justin and I --- were the only people standing in this building. The booming sound didn't matter, I could feel the four walls closing us as my messy thoughts fill in the silence of my chaotic mind.

I wanted... to slap Justin. I wanted to shout at Selena. Just how... how can she stand there with such confidence when I'm in front of her? His wife. I'm his wife.

I wanted...I wanted... I just want to go home and pretend this meeting did not happened.

Someone cleared their throat that I clenched my jaw and looked away.

Did he have to do this? He could have texted me that she would accompany him. A good heads up would be nice. I wouldn't give a damn. Just not right in front of me.

"Jacques! Oh my god. Long time no see." Selena greeted, breaking the stillness of the air as she hugged Jacques wholeheartedly.

Huh, so they knew each other. Should I even be surprised? I mean, it would only take a signature to legalize their kinship as cousins-in-law. Just have to let Justin ask the right question and getting me out of the picture.

"It's been so long. How's life been?" Selena continued, pulling away from the hug. Justin's hand behind her back didn't go unnoticed.

I was a ticking time bomb. I could feel my blood rising up in anger. I didn't know someone else's voice could be this annoying. I didn't know I was capable of hating someone whom I just met for the first time. I try to hinder myself from doing something I'd regret. But I am a human, slave to her emotions. I am never kind when I am angry.

Jacques chuckled in amusement. "I know. It's been what? Three days?"

How dare him? I'm his friend, right? We're supposed to be allies. So why is he smiling as if he doesn't know that this right here, Justin and Selena, isn't breaking me?

I sighed inaudibly as I looked away, only to find Justin's cold, apathetic eyes. No, you don't get to do that to me right now. Not with this. With an arctic gaze, I met his.

How could you do this to me? How can you hurt me like this? It's only just a few months away you bastard. So why can't you just... save me this chance of meeting her face to face?

"So... uhm..." I saw Selena gestured towards me and my two bestfriends, asking Jacques who we are.

"This is..." Jacques started but as I said, whenever I am mad, my emotions would get in the way of any rational thoughts I had in mind.

"How dull." I started. "You always throw the most boring parties Jacques." I then looked at Selena briefly before I continued. "I'm sorry Ms. Gomez. My eyes easily irritate."

"Oh."

"I'll have to excuse myself." I smiled sweetly. "I need to cleanse my eyes from all the dirt and filth they had seen." Without hesitation, I whisked my way out of the shared space but not before I heard Jacques's sublime statement.