Chapter Seventeen

17 – Love is Stupid

~*~
'I'll never tell him
How much I cried that day.'
-Anon
~*~

If he was indeed curious, he didn't bother to hide it. Brandon's perusing eyes deeply burned as I could feel his fixation changed between the road and me through the rear view mirror. I was too upset to even call him out; an exasperated sigh escaped my lips.

"We uhmm..." he cleared his throat, in pursuit to convey his discomfort at my sudden change of mood. "You can always buy the items and have it delivered on your doorstep."

I took a deep breath at his indifference. It was alleviating that he didn't know me personally. For once, I was mollified to not be surrounded by people who'd knew why I was breaking. I can be sad without having to burden people looking at me with pity.

"I uh can do something about it." He continued, pertaining about the candies and chocolates left behind.

I gazed at him. "Those aren't for me. They're for the children at the orphanage."

"Orphanage?" His eyes widened in surprise.

"Little Palms Orphanage to be exact."

"The one under your father's care." He stated as if he heard it somewhere else.

"We'll stop over Starbucks's drive thru along the way. I'll just buy the sweets for the children there."

The thought of going out the car and have to interact with bunch of strangers now seems like a palling piece of work. One Brandon was enough. I just can't wait to visit the little ones. Its been a month since I last dropped by. I knew if I wanted to rest my mind off things, I needed to find not only a distraction but a place where I knew I'd find myself.

I sighed.

Out of all the places and time and coincidences, I detest how fate managed to make our paths cross today. I mean Justin never does grocery shopping, especially with Nana.

How can he? When everywhere he goes, cameras follow. And we can't have Nana involve herself around that mess. Its too much for her well being. Also, the connection between Nana and I to him might give clues about our hidden union.

Looking outside the tinted window, I pursed my lips, my mind drifting off to one person. His deep chocolate brown eyes haunted me once again. One look and I found myself back to where he left me.

I can't help it. I can't run away — literally I may but emotionally, it's a whole different case. And how I hate myself for succumbing into the thought that it was my fault how he turned to the person of who he is today... someone whom I to fix... in some ways.

At the back of my head, I knew I was just probing to rationalize the need to stay.

And oh how my clouded demons are winning against my better judgments.

After we bought a variety of cakes and goodies at Starbucks, I instructed Brandon how to get to the orphanage (thru GPS). I thought it would be a quiet ride, but it had only been a few hours and I've already known Brandon's disdain with the awkward silence.

My phone beeped for the umpteen times and saw Justin's name flashed across the screen. I ignored it and shifted my line of sight. The cascading greenery of mother nature paraded outside the moving car.

"He followed you." Brandon spoke after few moments of reticency.

"W-what? Who a-are you talking about?" I stuttered, a little bit caught off guard.