Chapter Twenty (.5)

20. 5 – If Happy Ever Afters Did Exist

~*~
'According to Greek Mythology, humans were originally created with four arms, four legs and a head with two faces. Fearing their power, Zeus split them into two separate beings, condemning them to spend their lives in search of their other halves.'
– Plato's the Symposium
~*~

"Do you think rich people deserve happy endings?" Brandon asked out of nowhere as he started the ignition — ready to depart from the establishment.

We already said our bids to the kids and towards Sister Floresca, Grazia and Anna. It was hardest to say goodbye to Elise. I promised her I would visit the next day.

As expected, Justin's presence helped. Elise looked like she was about to cry but Justin held her in his arms, whispering words that would help comfort her sadness.

It was... a... picture to remember.

"I don't think they deserve to have one." Brandon continued.

My eyebrows furrowed when I glanced at him. He was back again with his conflicting, mind boggling thoughts. "And why is that?"

He shrugged before saying, "They just can't have it all."

"So you mean to say, you don't deserve a happy ending?"

He nodded in agreement, never faltering a bit. "So do you."

"What?! Don't put me in your narratives! Knock on a wood or something!" I differed, completely astounded by him. If he wants to jinx his life then he doesn't have to include mine! He only laughed at me.

"You have at least three fourths of what most people don't have in population Andrea. Although of course, its not your fault you've been born to a rich family."

"Stop saying the word rich!" I exclaimed. "I get it okay? But don't you think everyone deserves a happy ending?"

"Everyone deserves to eat. It's a necessity. But does everyone really has the privilege to eat?" He countered.

"So you don't have the privilege to have a happy ending?"

Instead of giving me an answer, he asked, "Have you known one rich family that is genuinely happy?"

I tried to think about people that I knew — to prove him wrong. But then I just pursed my lips.

"Exactly."

Folding my arms in front of my chest, I stared at him. "Who in the world hurt you?"

His perfect set of white teeth shown as he grinned at my statement. He really finds the idea of love funny. I'm astoundingly confused.
"I think it just balances everything, don't you think? Its unfortunately fascinating."

I rolled my eyes. "Just say I don't deserve Justin."

"On the contrary, I believe he does not deserve you." He said as his eyes connected with mine through the rear view mirror for a brief second, before he settled towards the road ahead.

"Even if I was the one who pushed the marriage?"

"Well at that time, yeah. He didn't deserve the lack of freedom to choose. You don't force people Andrea, that was on you. That was your fault and you've faced the consequences of that mistake. Now..." he paused as he shifted the clutch. "Now, it's on him. Those are his choices. This is yours. Now let the universe decide the course."

"And when its all too late?"

"Then maybe, that's all there is to it."

I sighed.