Chapter Four

4 – Holding on to that smile

~*~
'I hope you look back at what we had and you regret every single thing that you did to let it end.' - Sahil Verma
~*~

"Are you going to be okay?"

Seeing Stephen's frantic look, I tried to smile. His hand firmly grasped the steering wheel as his deep blue eyes stared at me.

I stayed at his house (as we talked about) for six whole hours, just wanting to waste time and give myself some space to breathe. I needed the distraction.

"Of course." I said lightly as I opened the car door. "Thanks Stephen."

"Anytime Ands." He replied. "My house is your house too."

"I know."

He smiled. "See you tomorrow?"

"Okay. Take care on your way back."

As I closed the car door, I turned my back to face him.

"I'll leave once you go inside."

I rolled my eyes. "Thanks but its midnight already. Go. I'm in the safe perimeter of my house Stephen."

"Andi..."

"Really Stephen. I'm the one who's going to see you off."

He huffed a defeated sigh. "Fine."

I almost smirked. "Bye."

I watched until his Audi turned to a curb and disappeared around a corner. With a sigh of my own, I faced our black steel gates.

Hesitating whether to go inside the house or sit here till the sun rises in the morning, I peeked on my watch and saw it was past midnight. They must be sleeping now. He must be sleeping now.

I didn't want our paths to cross.

Just for today.

Just a tiny moment of silence where I couldn't see him... feel him. Give him his spare hours of finally not having my clinging presence surround him, suffocate him... to disassociate from the burden of this marriage.

Home. They say home is where you would feel the safest, warmest and most liberating place in this suffering world. It is where you would want to place your heart in. A blanket in a cold, blistering storm.

Staring at the concrete house, I can't help but to marvel at the extravagancy and intricate designs it screamed. A gift from Justin and I's parents. This big, double floored, black and white themed building. And to think there are only few people living in here who can't even look at each other for a long time without being in the presence of acting.

I shook my head, trying to wilt away all the negativity before I took the courage to open the gate and journeyed my way inside.

'What's the point in all of this Andi?'

Stephen's question kept ringing into my mind ever since we talked at his house about the situation for the thousandth times.