Chapter Eleven

11 – When I Was Thirteen

~*~
'Have you ever loved someone so much that you realized you were doing the loving for the both of you?'
~*~

I was thirteen when I first thought that he would definitely be the guy who's going to wait for me right at the end of the aisle. Maybe I was too naive or too foolish to picture how perfect the idea was but Justin and I weren't always like how we are now.

There were times when I would dislike him and there were times where he would enjoy annoying me because he finds my company fun... because we were friends. Back when he was just Justin and back when I was just Andi.

We were more than our anger and hatred and pain. We were allies.

FLASHBACK

Sketching was probably my most, if not, then one of my favorite pastimes to forego my boredom; it was something my mom passed down on me. The sound of the pen scratching through the surface of the paper. The creative mind searching the endless horizon of what our eyes could see. The imagery behind our conscience, painting it to come alive. It doesn't need to make sense rather, it's a need to wholly express.

I was under the shade of an old oak tree sitting, skimming my eyes across the peaceful yet breathtaking scenery before me. The sun was illuminating over the glistening lake, giving a tint of vibrant on each surface its rays could touch. A wind swooshed by, allowing some leaves fell over the water.

I sighed in content. I then held my drawing book, flipping over the pages until a clear pad was seen. I started to draw.

Today is my 13th birthday. And a party was thrown inside our house but I never liked crowded places. I learned by now that people would only attend my parties just to please my father. They would give expensive gifts just to have his approval. I mean, I have friends but I can only count them with just one hand. Those people around the house, they were there for business ventures. It's boring and sickening to watch.

So here I was, taking time to breathe, having my own luxury to draw.

Justin attended, and I should've been happy but he was too busy with girls that whenever my eyes zoomed at his direction, someone was always trying to talk to him. I couldn't help but pout throughout the whole period. That trying hard man-kid.

I didn't like to watch. A heavy feeling at the pit of my stomach --- something I never understood --- keeps on trying to surface. I wanted to ask my dad why but it seemeed like a cat always got my tongue.

Justin and I don't fight like how we used to anymore but there are moments when we casually annoy each other. Because its fun. I'd like to think we are friends now because he would visit me sometimes and we would share decent life conversations (apart from me still throwing things when he would tease me to death).

He'd been busy doing some music, leaning himself towards that direction. He's joining a couple of organizations and competitions which I think is pretty cool. But I heard how his father was against all of it. Stephen told me that he heard Jeremy punished Justin when he learned he was sneaking around just to go to one of the programs. Dad even shared that Jeremy didn't like Justin doing unnecesary hobbies he'd eventually get bored into. A waste of time, he even said.

I sighed.

"So you're here." A voice said out of nowhere that my heart almost leaped from my ribcage.

I swiftly hid my sketch pad behind my back; it was something too personal for me to let someone sees it. Nobody aside from my mom and dad ever seen my drawings. Everyone were intruders and nobody aside from family would I even let cross over the line. There are some things I wasn't ready for the world to share.