Chapter Twenty Two

22 – Don't Give Up On Me

'Love's about finding the one person who makes your heart complete. Who makes you a better person than you ever dreamed you could be. It's about looking in the eyes of your wife and knowing all the way to your bones that she's simply the best person you've ever known.'
– Julia Quinn, The Viscount Who Loved Me

~*~

When the next day came, I found myself walking back inside the boundaries of the orphanage. My hands fidgeting a little.

I called in sick and told Scooter to cancel our supposed to be meeting for today. I thought he would've wanted me to further specify why but, he quickly agreed and said he could just send in the details right after because having rest was a necessity and that, he knew how much I needed it.

Apparently, he knew what was happening inside our household. Ryan and Chaz might have something to do with the information, and I was fine with it. I thought of it as them looking out for me anyway.

Mental health is important, Scooter reminded me. I, honestly, still am at war with myself but, this is where my thinking lead me to.

Just a small glimpse was fine, I told myself. And Elise and the kids would be in for another surprise — it was hitting two birds with one stone, I guess.

"Justin!" Sister Anna greeted me in enthusiasm as soon as she saw me. Her deliberate, small steady steps were met by my timid and unnerved ones. "I'm happy to see you back."

"I missed the kids and I brought them gifts." I stated, gesturing towards the boxes that were piled up near the hallway. Toys 4 Us helped deliver the parcels awhile ago.

"We're really thankful Justin. You're really are a big help. And just by the mere presence of you makes the children happy already. We cannot give our gratitude enough." She stated as she ushered me inside.

"I'm happy to help Sister Ana." I replied genuinely. I admit, at first, there was solely a scheme of plan just to see Andrea yesterday. But then, being here and seeing the smiles across the children's faces, built something more than the original ploy.

"Oh and Andrea's also here. What a coincidence."

I cleared my throat and fabricated (of what looked like) a startled smile. "Y-yeah."

When we stepped near the garden — where an activity was currently into works. The vibrant laughter of kids echoed within the vicinity; some were running around. There were paints of different colors splashed across the papers that were placed at the top of their small armrests; some even had stains on their clothes and on their faces as well. They all looked like they were enjoying the educational experience they had for today.

A girl in a messy bun immediately caught my attention. She was smiling brightly as she was guiding Elise how to properly stroke the brush — her hand wrapped around Elise's small fingers. She looked... happy. Far from the times I've seen her with me.

There were moments when I would see her smile, but it always came with a glint of hidden sadness in her eyes. They were what I disliked the most. Because back then, I wanted to feed the angst trapped inside of me. A reminder of what this person had caused me. I wasn't supposed to waver even for a slight bit. I could never forget the day she told me she'd marry me. She was too cold... too numb. A part of her that I hadn't seen until that uneventful day.