Two Unlikely Friend Groups

The mountains rolled by with each passing second. Different shades of green, blue and white adorning the window. It was easy to get lost in the sight, which is precisely why Zoe Wood had not been paying attention to a single word that Theo Greenway had said.

"Again? Really? Why is it always with me?" The short haired brunette jumped in her seat at the exasperation in her friends voice, letting the mountains roll by without further thought.

"It's probably because of your incredibly boring speeches" The boy huffed at his pink haired friend, a slick smile adoring her features.

"Thanks Melody" The girl just shrugged, twirling a string that had failed to keep in touch with the rest of her knitted sweater.

"Just speaking the truth dear Theo" The Hufflepuff boy huffed, turning to look out into the lit hallways of the train.

They were an odd group of friends, two Slytherins hanging out with someone who wasn't from their house wasn't common, much less a Hufflepuff boy who didn't seem to find the evil in the world.

They were usually accompanied by their Ravenclaw friend Leslie Tistle, but with her tendency to run off and snog the face off of any cute boy. It was no surprise she had only showed her face for a brief moment at the beginning of the train ride.

"There is no way you're thinking strategy this early. I mean, I know you Woods have this unresolved sexual tension with quidditch but-"

"I'm gonna stop you right there. I'm not thinking about quidditch" An evil smirk adorned the features of the Hufflepuff boy, his gaze glued firmly away from Zoe.

"She's thinking about her not-so-secret boyfriend" Melody giggled, trying and failing to cover it as a cough.

Zoe exasperated and sadly expecting the answer to her question, played right into the hands of her teasing friends.

"Oh wisest dearest Theosnot, enlighten me with this oh so gracious knowledge of yours of who may this boyfriend be?" Gaze still firmly planted on the door, he replied.

"James Potter"
"He's not my-"
"Speak of the devil"

The howling laughter in the corridor alerted them to the arrival of the Gryffindor trio, inseparable and insufferable.

First came a black haired boy, shorter than the rest but if you ever dared cross his path you'd end up in the hospital wing for weeks at a time. Gavin Drake was not someone you'd like to mess with.

On the other hand the infamous 'bookworm' of the trio, Tyronne Yvenzte (more known as Ty) was one you'd be less fearful as to mess in public, but between shadows and smiles you could hide more than one secret.

And finally the one who had been widely considered as their leader, James freaking Potter. A spitting image of his father to the exception of his improved eye-sight that definitely came from the Weasley gene in him, which somehow also came with the certain gene that seemed to push every single button that Zoe owned.

The laughter stopped as soon as both trios set eyes on each other, the compartment door siding open to the force of a certain raven haired Gryffindor with a devilish smirk.

"Ladies, Theo"
"Gavin" They all replied at once, Zoe doing her hardest to ignore the second tallest of the bunch, though it seemed he didn't have the same idea.

"If it isn't the prettiest girl in Hogwarts. You still sore at your loss to me?" Zoe scoffed.

"Sore your ass after all the times you plummeted to the ground. Hopefully you didn't ruin your butt for the unlucky girl who ever decides to call herself your girlfriend" The glares they sent each other where ones to kill, luckily the rest of the group was already used to their antics and instead made themselves comfortable in the remaining seats.

"How was your summer dearest Melody? I heard you accompanied your mother on her world tour" The pink haired girl scoffed, letting her legs rest over Gavin's thighs, her toes barely grazing Theo's lap next to him.

"I did. France was especially lovely, even tried convincing me to stay in Beauxbutons" Ty's attention peaked at the mention of the neighbouring school which harboured more than one of his early childhood crushes.

"Why didn't you?" Melody didn't face the boy, instead leaned into Gavin's touch and letting her fingers graze his cheek delicately.

"Can't leave my favourite boys to fend off for theirselves can I?"

"What am I chopped liver?" Melody blew a kiss to Zoe, to which she pretended to shrug off

"You're my unofficial girlfriend, you have privilegies Z" Before anyone else could reply an exasperated younger brother threw the green tie towards his older sister.

"You forgot this at home. Your welcome" The brown eyed boy tried leaving afterwards but was stopped by a sneaky Melody.

"Neo, wait" Neo sighed and leaned back against the doorway, for a fourteen year old Ravenclaw, he was awfully sassy.

"Yes, Melody?"
"You sense this tension?" Melody waved her hands towards the Potter and first-born Wood. Which the second Wood shrugged to.

"I guess?" Both teenagers knew what was coming, nevertheless let the girl continue.

"And how do you suggest they ease the tension?" Neo smirked back, realizing what the girl intended to do.

"Get it over with and snog already" The group hollered while the older Wood glared at the younger.

"Neo!" The boy slowly walked back, a smirk still etched on his face.

"Just speaking the truth, Z" Zoe took hold of the first thing her hands could muster, which just happened to be James' wand.

She threw it with all her force towards her little brother, who managed to scurry away before more damage could be caused. Although in that moment another member showed up.

"You know the point of wands is to throw the magic out of them, not throw the wand itself" James caught his wand as it was thrown back at him, twirling the magical stick in his hand.

"That little prick" Leslie sneaked into the compartment, ignoring Zoe's comment. Although all seats were taken she made her own and sat on James' lap.

"What did darling Neo do now?" Theo leaned back on the seat, crossing his arms above his chest as a way to not visibly show the fact that he saw Zoe's jaw tense as soon as Leslie sat on James' lap.

"He just spoke the truth" James and Zoe simultaneously rolled their eyes.

"That wasn't the truth!" It was Gavin's turn to join in teasing the unofficial couple.

"Look at them, already speaking at the same time" Zoe grabbed her own wand from her boot, pointing it directly at Gavin's throat with a clenched jaw.

"One more word Drake and I'll make sure your next bludger makes it back to your jaw" Gavin didn't seem threatened at all, in fact he leaned even further.

"Lots of dirty talk from someone who's only job is to chase a little golden ball" Leslie rolled her eyes, leaning on James' shoulder.

"Can we not piss off Zoe today? I've been having an excellent day and don't feel like ruining it" James snorted, involuntarily holding onto Leslie so she didn't fall on the ground.

"We can tell Les. You have a little something there" Sure enough, Leslie's bright red lipstick had been smudged as far as to reach her cheek.

James' eyes trailed her face as she tried correcting the tint on her cheek.

Leslie Tistle was undeniably gorgeous, her dark skin always seemed to shimmer in the light, her perfectly braided locks were straight out of a high-budget movie, and her glimmering green eyes had no counterpart. But even with all her beauty, James Sirius Potter only had eyes for one.

"Well if you boys are done here. We do have the need to change into our robes"

"That eager to see me naked Les?"
"Keep dreaming Mel" Small smiles crept onto everyone's faces.

An odd group indeed, one too many layers of their friendship and too different stories to tell at once. But what mattered was the loyalty they held to each other, and if one was wronged the consequences would sure be dire....