Facing Fears

Zoe's whimpers carried across the dimly lit dock, the moonlight barely helping illuminate it further.

James could barely make out Cedric's figure under his dark cloak, a stray strand of red hair caught the light of the moon letting him confirm it was indeed his older brother.

Beneath him with a wand pointed at her neck was Zoe, squirming as little as she could. Even from far away James could hear her ragged breathing and small whimpers whenever she caught sight of the dark water below.

Cedric knew what she was terrified of, and he had used it to his advantage amazingly.

"I'm here Cedric, now let her go"

"Jamesy. Answer me this, do you love her?" James' grip tightened on his wand as it was pointed at the head of his brother.

"Let her go and I'll answer your question" Cedric's laugh echoed across the lake, an infinite amount of sinister laughs piercing James' ears.

"You know how hostage situations work then, you're not as amateur as I thought you would be" Cedric's pale finger caressed Zoe's cheek, she whimpered again.

"I planned on taking Mum first you know. Let her experience first hand the monster she created.

But then I thought. Why give them the satisfaction? It was obvious they weren't willing to see my point of view, I had to think outside the box.

I then thought of little Lily and her Slytherin crush, or boyfriend. I can never tell with how much she flirts and he blushes.

But would you look at that, you came up with the perfect person for my little experiment! I got to thank you for that Jamesy, you're the only one who actually realized that love could be crafted.

Here I was thinking you'd end up being as daft as Mum and Dad. Maybe I should've gone to Albus first, he would've understood with him being-"
That was the last straw for James, his temper had been broken.

"-Let her go Cedric! You want to show how love isn't real or whatever, fine! Kill me for truly loving her and contradicting you! Torture me! Whatever I don't care! Just let her go, this is between you and me" Cedric sighed, his wand leaving Zoe's neck to instead pierce the skin on her back.

"You're right James. This is between you and me" With his free hand Cedric uncovered his face for once and for all.

His hair was long, almost long enough to reach his shoulders. It was as fiery red as the rest of the Weasleys. One of his green eyes had an old scar crossing it, and burn marks littered all of his cheeks, healed blisters all along his jawline.

His grin was sickening, too similar to his own to differentiate between them both.

"Congratulations brother, you're the first one to see my face in over ten years!

And congratulations Zoe, because the last face you'll ever see is mine" Before he could even react, Cedric had pushed a screaming Zoe into the depths of the black lake.

"James!" That was all she managed to scream before she went under.

In that moment James didn't think of capturing the cackling Cedric, all he did was jump in after Zoe.

He vaguely remembered Flitwick explaining the bubble head charm, he remembered using it as he and Gavin flung dung bombs all across the classroom.

With some effort he managed to cast the spell and begin his search under the dark waters for Zoe.

He barely caught a glimpse of her hand sinking under and caught her just in time.

With the last of his strength, he pulled her towards his chest and cast another bubble head charm around her unconscious body. She had inhaled too much water.

He carefully clutched her body and began kicking upwards towards the bright moonlight up above.

The surface was barely a hair away, his bones already freezing cold and muscles as stiff as Professor Binns' humour.

Yet he still managed to fell a slimy tentacle wrap around his ankle pulling him and Zoe further under while he tried to fight it off with his last remaining strength while also trying not to lose focus on the bubble head charms that were keeping both him and Zoe alive.

He thought about flinging Zoe upwards so at least she could leave, but seeing as she was unconscious and didn't know how to swim she would've floated right back down under with him.

His vision had begun to blacken with spots as he pushed with the last of his body, the mouth of the squid below now visible.

He looked down at the unconscious girl in his arms, her brown hair forming a crown around her hair, as peaceful as if she sleeping.

"I'm sorry Z" He intertwined their fingers one last time before blacking out alongside her, letting the squid pull them both back under.

He dreamt of his siblings, even the evil one. About his best friends since his first year, and even those he had made thanks to Zoe, he especially thought of her. He could hear her laughter in the back of his mind, along with some other voice laced between her sweet tones.

"Don't worry Jamesy. This was just the beginning"

————————————————————————

a/n: Countdown:

3...

Guess what? Ya girl's got COVID 🤪🤪 Three years of surviving this just so some asshole at my school would ruin my streak 💔

I feel fine and all like I felt worse with a cold than with this- but still gotta stay home 🤷‍♀️ Luckily my mom doesn't have it so we should be fine-

But on the bright side it was LITERALLY (im not even kidding) doctor's orders to keep me busy so guess I'll have a lot of time to write 🤪 This is a great time to have like 80 different hobbies 😃

Anyways vote and comment ur favourite part in this entire book I wanna know what I should write more of 😉