Back To Normal?

"You think she'll wake up?"

"I'm sure she will Mister Wood, but for now let's let her rest. She's been through a lot"

Light peaked between Zoe's eyelashes as her eyes slowly scanned the room she was in.

Last she remembered she was trying to break the surface of the Black Lake and saw a figure swimming towards her.

She was covered in white sheets and surrounded by white dividers. If she hadn't been in that same room dozens of times, she would've thought she had died and gone into the afterlife.

She tried to call out for Madam Pomfrey but instead ended up coughing her raw lungs out. He throat burned with each new inhale and exhale, if she wasn't dead already her throat really did make her wish she was.

"Oh you poor thing" Madam Pomfrey had finally shown up, a cup of some sort of potion in her hands.

Carefully she sat next to Zoe and helped her reach the cup to her lips.

The liquid tasted like both the best thing she had ever tasted and the worst thing. But if it helped her go back to being relatively normal she would've taken dozens of cups of the drink.

"Slow gulps dear, your entire system was pretty damaged" With the last gulp of the potion, it finally brought a normal feeling back to Zoe's throat.

"What....What happ..." Zoe's voice was rough, like a person who smoked twenty cigarettes a day for their entire life. She almost didn't recognize her own voice.

"Don't speak dear. You're both lucky Mister Drake is a fast runner.

He went to get Professor McGonnagall and she saw Mister Potter jump in behind you.

She pulled you both out and immediately brought you here. You both had lots of water in your lungs, it's surprising you can even breathe right now"

"James?" Her throat couldn't manage more, and even with the single question Zoe had sprung back into a series of harsh coughs as to which Madam Pomfrey handed her yet another cup of her miracle potion.

"Two beds down. He's not nearly as banged up as you are, but I still needed to keep him under observation" Zoe nodded, settling back down in her bed.

"I'll go tell your family you're awake. They're going to be delighted" Madam Pomfrey left in a rush of clicking heels, leaving Zoe to her own accords.

You would think by then Madam Pomfrey would realize that Zoe wasn't one to stay in a hospital bed, no matter how much she had endured.

Even when she swayed as she stood up and had to hold onto something sturdy to even stand, Zoe still made her way to James' bed.

He was supposedly reading a book as he sat up on the bed, his sheets tangled between his legs. Although Zoe doubted he was doing much reading since the book was upside down and his eyes didn't move from the same spot.

"James" His head shot up at the husky sound of Zoe's voice.

Even though the purpleness from the multiple bruises she had endured were still there, along with a couple of new scars and very tired eyes.

She still looked like the most beautiful thing James would ever see.

"Z, you should be resting" James' voice still held a tinge of the raspiness that came along with inhaling litre after litre of water.

"I'm fine" James didn't listen to her and instead helped her back to her bed with slow steady steps, for both of their dizzy head's sake.

"Thank you....For saving me" James smiled down gently at the girl whose arm was wrapped around his shoulders as they slowly crossed the wing.

"It's no problem, after all it technically was my fault that happened to you in the first place" Zoe shrugged, allowing James to help lower her onto the uncomfortably firm mattress.

No matter how many similarities Zoe found between her captor and James, she couldn't picture James as Cedric.

Cedric's smile always held a tinge of cockiness and mischief, while James' was filled with humour and happiness.

Cedric's eyes were hard and hollow, long lost of emotion. James' were always sparkling with adventures and thoughts of his next mischievous action, they were a door to his playful self.

No matter how much Zoe wished to blame the boy before her for her suffering. She never could find it in her.

"It's not your fault. I needed to get kidnapped to say I did something that you haven't, get on the game Potter" James laughed loudly, the action ending up with him having to hold onto his throat as it ached with laughter.

"I might just go out there and get Ty to kidnap me so we're even then" Zoe let out a small chuckle, which was the most laughter she could muster without breaking her voice.

An unspoken question hung in the air between them, one that made James' hand twitch next to his hospital gown.

"Are we good then?" Zoe sighed, even though she expected the question, she didn't quite look forward to answering it.

"No. But we're on the path to be" James gently smiled, it was a better response than he expected. And even if he hadn't earned her friendship back again, he at least was on the road to get it.

"Mister Potter! Why are you out of bed?! You should be resting" James groaned as Madam Pomfrey began tugging him back towards his bed. The Wood family standing right outside.

"Here we go again, I get in trouble for your doings Wood" Zoe smirked her usual smirk, the one James had grown so accustomed to.

"I have no clue of what you're talking about Potter"

————————————————————————

a/n: Countdown:

2...

Man I'm sad I wish I had written more 💔 but at least I got lots of free time now so I'll be writing as much as I can 🤷‍♀️

On the bright side I was told my crush missed me so at least I got that going for me-

Anyways vote and comment while u Can because this is about to end