Christmas Came 'Round

Three months. Three months had passed, yet Zoe and James still refused to utter a single word to the other since that dreadful night.

Due to their friends being friends with each other, they were forced to see the other every Hogsmeade trip, every group project, every lunch or breakfast. And even then their conversations didn't imply more than a word, the biggest sentence that had been used was 'could you pass the maple syrup?'

Their friends were worried, Leslie had told them what had happened, but still they didn't intervene. They knew that by taking matters into their own hands, they'd drive an even bigger wedge between the two, their only hope was for them to get over their differences and speak to each other, or for another black rose event to happen.

Their search had stirred into dead ends. Professor Potter refused to give them any additional information, they even went as far as to ask Professor Longbottom (a long life friend of the Potters) for information, but he seemed adamant on keeping the information secret as well.

The symbol had never been used anywhere else before, it was perfectly crafted for that specific scenario. The words were also made for them, they were not a part of some larger poem or any sort of anagram. Without more proof they were stuck at a standstill.

Quidditch season had begun as well, which did marvels to occupy Zoe's free time as the first female captain of the Slytherin team, she had standards to live up to, and she more than anyone else was ready to raise those standards even higher.

Out of sheer luck, she somehow also managed to avoid games with the Gryffindor team. Sticking to facing off against Hufflepuff instead. Demolishing the team rapidly, luckily Theo didn't hold grudges. Their next game would be against Ravenclaw, giving them more than enough time to forget about the incident...

————————————————————————

Winter had arrived at Hogwarts, bringing the excitement of Christmas and the Holidays. Which did nothing to brighten Zoe's mood.

Her father was always away at quidditch games around Christmas time, and her mother would rarely take time off work for something like a holiday, which meant she would either go with the Potters or stay at the castle. In both cases, she would have to face James Potter alone. With no friends to save her from a conversation.

————————————————————————

"Are you sure you'll be alright? I'm sure my dad wouldn't mind me staying over the break here" Zoe shook her head sadly at Theo, hugging him quickly.

"Don't worry about me Theo, I'll be fine. I know how much you've wanted to spend some time with your dad, so you go and have fun" Theo nodded one last time, giving the girl a hug before rushing off into the train.

Leslie and Melody peaked their heads out from a window, waving at Zoe through them as the train began moving.

"If you're gonna get laid, use protection!" Melody slapped a grinning Leslie on the shoulder, leaving a very flustered Zoe at the platform to watch as the train rolled by.

Only a few students were left at the platform, Zoe recognizing every single one of them. Neo Wood, her own brother. Albus Potter. Lily Potter. James Potter. And of course, herself.

With Harry as their new Professor, Ginny thought it was a better idea for them to just stay at the castle. What she didn't count on was the clear tension between them and the Wood children, as well as the fact that almost every other family had taken their children for the holidays. Leaving the castle mostly to themselves, along with the odd Weasley here and there.

————————————————————————

Christmas Eve began like any other, with Zoe skipping breakfast and lunch because she refused to wake up. Until her younger brother decided to interrupt her beautiful sleep.

"Z! Z! Wake up!" Zoe groaned and pulled the covers closer to her eyes, adamant to ignore her brother's constant shakes.

"You've skipped both breakfast and lunch already and I'm bored" Neo kept shaking her body until she finally gave in.

"Fine! I'm up, I'm up" Zoe finally tossed the covers to the floor, sleepily walking over to the bathroom to do her usual routine.

"How is it that you manage to wake up early every day of the year except Christmas Eve?" Zoe shrugged although Neo couldn't see her since he had stayed by her bed.

"I ask myself the same question every year" Neo groaned, plopping down onto Zoe's messy bed.

"What do you even want to do?" Neo shrugged, even though his sister couldn't see her.

"I heard the Weasleys were having a snowball fight against the Potters" Out of nowhere Zoe yanked the door open, her hairbrush halfway through brushing out the knots that had formed the night before.

"No way I'm doing that" Neo sighed, hugging Zoe's pillow with his best puppy eyes look.

"Z, you can't avoid him forever! Besides you used to love those snowball fights" Zoe shook her head profusely, finishing off combing her hair.

"Nope. Not happening. I'll be there if James isn't there, but there's no way I'll be within two meters of the guy" Neo sighed, weighing his options.

"I'll do your History of Magic homework for a week" Zoe grimaced, she hated that class with passion and barely managed to stay awake, much less have the energy to do homework.

And Neo being himself, he excelled at the subject. Professor Binns would never notice it, seeing as even their handwriting was similar.

"A month" Zoe counter offered and Neo grinned, shooting up from Zoe's bed and tossing her a hat.

"Deal" Zoe sighed, catching the hat and shoving it on.

"I'm so going to regret this"
"Probably"

————————————————————————

a/n: Gotta love those fillers yk-

I am currently falling asleep but the adrenaline of getting my crush to possibly sit next to me is keeping me awake-

Anyways vote and comment it's fun for me and u (: