Having A Crush Is Tricky Business

"Don't get me wrong mate, Zoe is gorgeous and absolutely amazing, but man is the girl blind" James shrugged, his tie tied around his head, swishing with each step.

"Gotta keep trying though" Gavin draped his arm around James' shoulder.

"Mate, you've called the girl 'pretty' and 'beautiful' to her face. I don't think a girl as smart as her could be THAT clueless" Theo decided to butt in the conversation with a snort.

"I've known Zoe Wood for a while, trust me if anyone could be clueless and smart at the same time, it's her. Unless it involves a snitch, quaffle and, or bludger, she'll pay little to no attention" Gavin clapped Theo's back, kicking  the stuffy carriage in which they had rode before hopping back over to James.

"Well praise Theosnot, he just found us a solution to all of your problems" Theo rolled his eyes.

"Don't call me Theosnot"
"Zoe calls you that"
"She's the only one that gets to call me that!"

"Guys! Focus" Gavin scoffed, walking backwards with little to no care of the people behind him that he could potentially crash into.

"Right, the solution: transfigure you into a snitch, then she'll be sure to chase after you and you'll even get her hands all over y-" Gavin started making some awfully obscene hand gestures, making his three friends gag in response.

"Shove off, Gavin" Gavin pouted, turning back around to walk alongside them instead of backwards.

"I'm not the one who's thinking that! It's Potter here that wants a go at her" James scoffed, annoyance and disgust seeping off of him.

"I'm not thinking that far ahead, for now I'd simply enjoy her seeing me as more than the guy who burnt the tail of her favourite stuffed dragon when we were seven" A smirk stretched across Gavin's lips.

"Stuffed dragon you say" James shot him a deathly glare as soon as the words left his mouth, stopping at the edge of the doors leading to the Great Hall.

"Say one single thing about that and I'll break your spine" And with that James huffed, leaving behind the trio trying to stifle his laughter.

————————————————————————

The Great Hall had been adorned for the arrival of the first years as per usual, dozens of candles littering the enchanted roof of the room. Loud chatter and laughter came from each table, the teachers keeping more of an orderly manner at their own table.

Professor Longbottom had been appointed to be the one to bring in the first years, leaving one of the chairs in the table alone, but oddly enough there wasn't one only one chair as there was supposed to be, there were two.

"Girl trouble big brother?" James lifted his head from his forearms, looking up at his enthusiastic little sister.

"More like guy trouble" Lily faked shock, sitting across from the brooding eldest Potter sibling.

"Didn't know you were into guys, congrats on coming out" James opened his mouth to retort but his sister had already burst into a fit of giggles, annoying him even further.

"Shouldn't you be with Neo or flirting with Scorpious or something?" Lily shrugged, looking back at the table sitting on the opposite side of the room.

"As if Albus would just let me waltz up there and start flirting with his best friend, you know how he is" James nodded, his mind not fully focused on what Lily had said. Instead he was scanning the crowd of Slytherins for a certain brunette.

She was sitting next to Melody, who was much easier to spot with the bright pink hair. She was smiling widely, probably had just finished laughing at one of Melody's jokes, her smile always made him happy.

Her tie was undone, even though the creases in it indicated she had undone it herself, she was never one to follow the proper Hogwarts tie dress code, and to be fair neither was he. But even with the mess that was her clothes, her hair always seemed to be perfect, early morning or hours later, her hair always straightened itself, shinning against whatever light had graced its presence.

As if sensing his stare Zoe looked over at the Gryffindor table, her eyes landing against the all familiar brown eyes of James Potter. He smirked and winked at her, while she replied by rolling her eyes and flipping him off, staggering back to her conversation with Melody.

A loud sigh escaped Lily's lips, parting her brother from his daydream.

"Young love"
"I'm older than you!" Lily smirked at him.

"You said it yourself, I'm the one actually making moves on the person I find attractive. Meanwhile you're the one that has been sitting on this crush since you were eight waiting for her to make the first move knowing she never will"

"Who do you think the other empty chair is for?" It was a futile attempt to change the topic of conversation, but Lily took the loss anyways.

"Don't know. Probably for the new defence against the dark arts teacher. Dad always said that position was cursed" James shrugged just as the doors burst open.

"Guess we'll figure it out soon enough"

————————————————————————

a/n: I might fail my first test ever and also might have to skip lunch 🤪 I'm having a great day (note the sarcasm)

Vote and comment what u think will happen next im curious how ur brains work 🧐