Romance Comes From Not Hearing

James hadn't moved from her side, both of their friends had stopped by and left but he refused to move.

He refused to move once Gavin and Ty came to check in on them both alongside a guilty looking Melody.

He refused to move when Leslie showed up with Theo, both nearly bursting into tears at the sight of their unconscious friend.

He even refused to move when a very worried Neo came in with Lily, they stayed for longer than the others. But eventually left as well.

Zoe hadn't woken up since their little conversation in the hallway, the ghost of her lips on his collarbone still made him shudder. How he wished she would have done that when she wasn't slipping in and out of consciousness.

"Are you sure you wish to stay mister Potter? I'm sure she won't wake up until tomorrow morning" James nodded, his eyes glued onto the resting figure of Zoe.

"I'm sure, Madam Pomfrey" The old woman sighed, draping a crochet blanket on his shoulders so he had at least something to cover himself with in the chilly night.

"Good night mister Potter. Come find me if anything changes"
"Will do. G'night" And once the doors shut closed, the hall fell into silence.

It was barely the first day of term, meaning that the wing was empty except for them both. It was too early for injuries, yet Zoe always managed to break the odds.

James carefully reached out, his warms fingers intertwining with her cold ones. He traced every small scar littering her palm, smiling at a certain gash across her index finger.

"Do you remember that cut? You were cutting up some pumpkin for your stupid pasties. Godric you love those things way too much" He chuckled dryly, hoping to get an answer from the sleeping girl. None came.

His fingers traced the diagonal line on her finger, his eyes glued on his movements.

"I went into the kitchen to scare you with that clown mask dad had bought me for Halloween. I was a stupid boy who thought teasing his crush would make her like him. But I'm pretty sure I gave you all the more reason to hate me and you nicked your finger with the edge of the knife" He smiled fondly at the memory, curling her fingers along his own.

"You thought you were going to die from how much blood you were losing. But your Mum came in and cured you in a heartbeat. You didn't speak to me for a week. Worst week of my bloody life"

A strand of hair had fallen across Zoe's forehead as the gentle breeze wizzed by. James leaned over and brushed it away, caressing her cheek as he did so.

"I can't help but think that maybe if I wasn't paying as much attention to Imogen as I had been doing you'd be out there, throwing pillows at Melody, or whatever it is you girls do down at the Slytherin common room" He sighed loudly, holding their intertwined hands up to his chin, his lips grazing her knuckles.

"I wasn't even interested in her. I just wanted to make you jealous and knew precisely that she would fit the profile. Considered pretty by half of the school, a Gryffindor, flirty, you always thought that was my type" Finally he properly kiss their intertwined hands, his lips lingering longer than they should've.

"You're my type Zoe. Your quick remarks, your stupid humour and jokes, your ability to somehow never fall off a broom. Just wake up already Z, I want to say all this to your face and kiss you once I finish my beautifully crafted speech. It isn't nearly as fun when you won't remember it" James let their hands drop, holding on tightly to the blanket Madam Pomfrey had given him.

He caressed Zoe's cheek once more before kissing her forehead, closing his eyes in pleasure. It wasn't nothing he hadn't done dozens of times before to tease her, but in that moment it felt all too real.

"Goodnight quidditch princess, dream of me" And so he leaned back in his chair, draping the blanket across his torso, one hand left out in the open clutching hers.

————————————————————————

They thought they had been alone, but a shadow lurking in the corner moved near silent towards their bed.

James' soft snores covered their swift steps, allowing the figure to place a gentle black rose on Zoe's lap, a small sprawl of paper attached with a symbol on top.

The blanket had fallen off James as his snores grew louder. The shadow itched forwards, placing the blanket back over him, causing him to stir awake.

Before they could be caught, the shadow ran, footsteps near silent as it slipped past the wooden doors.

All the sleepy James Potter could catch was a tuft of red hair and a black cape, running away from the infirmary.

————————————————————————

a/n: Random shadow lurking in the corners? Oh who might it be? Gavin with another prank? Melody with a different hair colour? Thoughts?

I think I went into sensory overload in my school today that was fun- note the sarcasm

Anywaysss what we naming the shadow? Vote for Bob comment for other suggestions