What A Cheerful Hat

Professor Longbottom came forward, dozens of first years in black robes hobbling behind him, their eyes glued onto different parts of the hall.
Suddenly they abruptly stopped in front of the sorting hat, awaiting its song.

"Secrets are better untold,
Although actions sometimes unfold,
Caution is key when things fold,
All while regret isn't showed.

Never trust the foe,
You'd to best to ignore,
Now don't go out to explore,
Or you'll end up all sore"

The students politely clapped at the odd song, whispers arising from between the tables. Wary glances being casted around the room, even among teachers.

"Silence please!" And so the hall obeyed the headmistress, as Professor Longbottom began calling out names.

"Y'know, I didn't expect a thousand year-old hat to have a very cheerful song. But the past five years he seemed alright. Although that ending wasn't bad" Melody shrugged, clapping as houses were announced left and right.

"Yeah. Let's hope this isn't like when Harry Potter came to Hogwarts" Zoe scoffed at Melody.

"It's worse, cause now there's not one Potter, but three" Melody giggled just as a little boy was sorted into Slytherin. The two girls howling cheers as the boy ran towards their table.

————————————————————————

"I have a bad feeling about this, James" The older Potter nodded, his eyes glued onto the hat.

"It hasn't sung something that off since..."
"Since dad came to Hogwarts. Or at least that's what mum says"

"Don't worry little one, if anything happens I'll make sure to protect you" Lily scoffed, James' attempt of distracting her working marvellously.

"If anything, I'll have to protect you and Albus. You're both incompetent" James gasped loudly, being way more dramatic than he should've.

"I beg your pardon!" Lily giggled at her brother's antics, slapping him playfully on the mess that was his black hair.

And so the last student was sorted, leaving the current headmistress, Professor McGonnagall, an opening to deliver her speech.

"Welcome to Hogwarts! Both old and new students, it's a pleasure to see you all. Before we begin our traditional beginning of the year feast, I must make a few announcements.

Firstly, as always our grounds caretaker Mister Filch, would like to remind everyone that the Forbidden forest, as it's name says, is forbidden. As well as the usage of any Weasley's Wizards Wheeze's objects or any other object which may cause any kind of harm, which you may find a list of outside every classroom. And yes mister Potter, mister Drake, I am specifically talking to the both of you"

The hall erupted into a mess of wolf-whistling and laughter as James and Gavin stood atop of the Gryffindor table, bowing down deeply.

"Yes, yes, back to your seats gentlemen. I would like to announce as well a new member of our faculty staff due to Professor Steerway's abrupt retirement" James huffed, looking over at Gavin who had sat a few seats down from him and Lily.

"Shame, I liked the old bloke" Lily scoffed at her brother.

"You gave him the blabbering curse in the middle of a lesson!" James turned back to his sister with an evil smirk.

"Precisely my point, I went easy on him" Gavin without care leaned across from the students who sat between him and his best friend.

"I say we start with a full body-binding curse on the new teacher" James stretched his hand out.

"Add in some dung bombs and we've got ourselves a plan" Gavin grinned and enthusiastically shook his friend's hand. Their attention going back to McGonnagall's speech.

————————————————————————

"I personally taught your new professor, and can confidently express that he will be one of the greatest teachers you will ever have the pleasure of working under, as I'm sure you have noticed with the rest of our staff. Now it is my pleasure to present your new defence against the dark arts teacher, Professor-"

"Sorry! I know I'm late! I got stuck in the floo powder network, it was awfully busy for this hour" The entire hall froze at the sight of the man who had just burst through the doors. Most of the student's jaws on the floor and eyes as wide as plates. All while McGonnagall just gave him a disapproving look.

————————————————————————

"Oh we're screwed" Zoe whispered in Melody's ear so quietly she could barely pick up the noise.

"Is that-"

————————————————————————

"It's quite alright Potter. Why don't you come up here and introduce yourself to the students who might not recognize you" Although McGonagall's words were phrased as a question, they held a tone saying it was an order.

The man nodded, pushing his glasses further up the bridge of his nose, his green eyes piercing through the students.

"Ehm...uh...well.. hello! I'm Harry Potter, better said uh Professor Potter. I have been working as head of the auror department for a couple of years now. A good friend has always said that aurors are sort of a version of cooler policemen" Professor Potter awkwardly laughed, but everyone was too shocked to even speak. So he just cleared his throat and continued.

"Anyways, I look forward to working with you all! And know we're going to have a great year" Professor Potter nodded to McGonnagall who took over the stand while he went and shook hands with the rest of the faculty.

"Thank you Professor. As a reminder, I would like everyone to remember that Professor Potter is here to teach you all how to defend yourself, not entertain you with stories about his adventures. Now, I believe it is time for us to dig in" With a finishing clap, piles of food appeared on the table, students immediately digging in and beginning to talk about the new Professor at Hogwarts.

"Maybe the hat was trying to warn us about dad" James shrugged, biting into a rather large piece of bread.

"I certainly hope so"

————————————————————————

a/n: Somehow I passed my chemistry test??? Now I only have math and the second chemistry test- fun :D (note the sarcasm)

Did u guess Harry's the new professor? :o vote for yes and comment for no and who u actually thought it was because I certainly left it very ambiguous lol