Fighting A Shadow Is Not Recommended

James and Zoe jumped at the sound of voice, both branding their wands towards the corner where they had heard the voice come from. James quite literally acting as a human shield for Zoe.

"Where are you?" Zoe scoffed, her fear being masked by anger and annoyance.

"You're really more concerned for the 'where' rather than the 'who'?" Zoe asked exasperatedly. The voice chuckled, still hiding amongst shadows.

"I can see why you like her. She has quite a fiery personality, wouldn't you say?" James pushed Zoe further behind him, his nostrils flaring in anger.

"Leave her out of this" The voice chuckled deeply, making their skins crawl.

"She always said you were so much like him. I just didn't phantom how similar" Even though James was completely and utterly confused, he did not show it. His priority in the moment seemed to be to protect Zoe. But she didn't quite cooperate.

While they were having their dialogue, Zoe had been silently moving towards the door, her footsteps quieter than they should've been. Years of sneaking around her house put in practice.

She quietly yanked the door open, noticing it was locked. But the clank it made caught the attention of the voice in the room, who immediately materialized next to her.

It's breath was hot against her neck, making her scream and smash her elbow to where she assumed was it's face. Sadly she missed.

"Zoe!" James sprung into action searching for Zoe, while she kept screaming bloody murder. The voice's hands gripping her waist and keeping her close while it raised her arm in the air so she could not reach her fallen wand.

"What a shame he decided to give his love to you" And so it pressed its wand against her ring finger, a burning pain in it making her scream out in agony.

"James!" James' head whipped harshly at the pleas of her voice, but it was so dark it was almost as if he had been running in circles, unable to find her no matter how bright his wand shone.

Suddenly he crashed into the piano that had been playing the song before hand, as yet another painful scream emitted from Zoe.

James growled angrily before pointing his wand at the piano, the last light of his previous spell flickering into nothingness.

"Incendio!" The piano was set ablaze, it's bright orange flames illuminating the room far more than any spell could've. He could finally see Zoe.

The voice had been holding her against a far corner in the room, pointing his wand at her middle finger were blood had been falling from.

"Let go of her you bastard!" The voice sneered towards James, although it was no longer only a voice at the time.

It had the shape of a man, a black cloak covering most of its features except for its mouth. A perfect set of teeth resting upon it.

It seemingly got angrier noticing the ruckus James had caused. So instead of pointing its wand at Zoe's finger, it pointed it at her neck. A silent tear slipping down her cheek which made it grin and James' stomach flip in not a good way.

"Why are you doing this?!" It sneered at James again, pointing its wand further into Zoe's neck, at least it wasn't pointy enough to pierce her skin.

"They said they loved me, loved us. But left me behind in the fire, they saved the others and left me, is that even love....YOU MUST ALL SEE!" It seemed as though while the figure had given the speech, it released Zoe from its hold. Allowing her to smash her elbow in its face and run as fast as her feet could carry her.

The figure bellowed in pain while James caught on to the stumbling Zoe, pushing her behind him. She balled up the hem of his shirt in her hands as she hid her face in his back in fear.

"Not now...Not today...Not tomorrow...But you'll see Jamesy...YOU'LL ALL SEE" And so the figure waved its wand, dissipating into smoke and flying out from under the locked door.

As soon as the last trickle of black smoke left, James turned to face Zoe, only to be engulfed in a hug by the sobbing girl.

He held tightly on to her in return, running his hands up and down her back in comfort. The piano still ablaze next to them.

"Are you alright?" Zoe shook her head 'no' and only gripped tighter onto James. He could already feel the humid spot where her tears were staining his shirt.

He delicately kissed her temple, pulling her even closer, whispering reassuring phrases into her ear. Completely ignoring the burning instrument that only seemed to fill the room further with smoke.

"James?! Zoe?! Are you two in there?! Stand back if you are! I'm blasting the door open!" The voice of Harry Potter came from the corridor, the door violently shaking under its constant pressure.

His warning gave both James and Zoe enough time for them to crouch behind a pillar of the room. With James, once again, shielding Zoe with his body.

The door exploded into tiny little pieces, the flames growing brighter until they were put out, leaving an eerie dark to surround them.

"James?! Zoe?! It's Harry!" James coughed, clearing his lungs from all the smoke he had inhaled.

"We're over here Dad!" Harry Potter ran up to them staring bewildered at the two visibly shaken teens.

"What happened?" Zoe only burst into more sobs, clinging once again onto James, who in return wrapped a protective arm around her waist.

"That..That's not important right now. Zoe needs medical attention, her finger" Professor Potter kneeled next to James, shining his wand onto Zoe's wound.

It had stopped bleeding as much, now only a small line falling. In its stead a lighting bolt had been carved on her finger, all the skin around a bursting pink and red as it tried to scar. A scar had been set, just like Harry's all those years ago.

Professor Potter waved a wand over the finger, yet nothing happened. It was an ancient magical wound that could not be remedied with magic. Instead he ripped a piece of James' shirt off, wrapping the finger in it, allowing the blood to soak through.

"What are you doing?! She needs proper medical attention! We need to get her to the hospital-" Harry shook his head, staring directly into his son's eyes.

"James you mustn't tell anyone about this, neither should you Zoe"

"Why?" The eldest Potter gripped James' shoulder roughly.

"Promise me. For both your sakes" And finally they nodded, sealing the promise for the grand amount of a week before all their friends came back.

————————————————————————

a/n: And this is where it all officially begins >:) 21 chapters later whoops-

Update on my love life after going with my crush to the movies: it still sucks. End of update.

I saw the theory of the "shadow" being Teddy Lupin, and I'd honestly believe it if I hadn't written this-

Anyways vote and comment it's funnnn I promise (;