Jealousy And Retorts Go Hand In Hand

The morning sun shined across the hall were breakfast had been served, students dozing in and out of their sleepy states.

The first day of term always came with a thrill that managed to keep most awake, except for a certain pink haired girl who looked like she would rather be anywhere else.

"I will forever envy your ability to wake up at ungodly hours in the morning and still manage to look that hot" Melody groaned from in front of a very chipper Zoe.

"It's a talent only few posses, darling"

"One of those few being me" As smooth as ever, James Potter slid on the bench right next to Zoe, casually draping an arm around her shoulders. Melody gave him a knowing smirk.

It was quite obvious they fancied each other, it was all in the little details. Such as: when James' eyes would linger a little longer on Zoe, or how Zoe would tense whenever another girl came off too strong on James in her line of view, or maybe it was the simple fact that James had down right called the girl beautiful dozens of times meaning every word.

"You wish, Potter" Zoe flicked his arm off of her shoulders, her skin rising into goosebumps after the warmth of James' arm left her.

"Where are Gavin and Ty?" James shrugged, stealing a piece of toast off from Zoe's plate.

"Gavin is fighting off a hangover and Ty is still sleeping" Melody snorted.

"Already? It's barely the first day of term" James shrugged back, trying and failing to steal another piece of toast from Zoe just to earn a harsh slap to the hand.

"Gavin has his ways" Leslie sneaked in next to Melody, as graceful as always. Some might have even though she was related to a veela.

"Morning Les" The brunette smiled back, already organizing her notes for her first lesson after breakfast.

"G'morning. How you feeling James? Y'know after the whole 'my father is now my teacher' thing?" James shrugged, chewing yet more toast.

"I actually wanted to talk to you about that. Think you can start searching for something related to the hat's song last night? My dad said it was related but couldn't tell us what it was about" Leslie nodded, happy to have an alternate task to busy her time.

Meanwhile Zoe scrunched up her nose in disgust at the need of James to speak when he still had a bit of toast in his mouth, spitting out crumbs all around the table.

"No wonder you don't have a girlfriend with your trollish manners" James stood back up, sneaking yet one more piece of toast into his hand.

"I don't have a girlfriend because you keep rejecting me miss Wood" James smirked before he pressed his lips against her cheek.

Zoe had to physically fight back the urge to blush by digging her nails into the palm of her hands. The urge to also touch the spot where his lips had touched also present in the struggle.

James took notice of the way her shoulders tensed as soon as he completed his action, her fists balling up. He had a reaction on her, and for the moment that seemed to please him enough to allow him to leave the hall.

"Kiss me again and I'll seal your lips shut!" Leslie smirked at her flustered friend, shouting at the Potter boy exiting the room.

"Translation: Next time don't miss and actually kiss her on the lips!" Zoe glared at the smirking girl.

"I hate you"
"Thank me in your wedding speech"

————————————————————————

"You kissed her and she basically told you to fuck off?" James shrugged, spinning around on the stool in their potions class.

He had been narrating the recent events of his life to Gavin and Ty to catch them up. From the odd conversation with his father the night before, to the sneaky kiss he had given his long-time crush in the morning.

"Pretty much"
"Are we just going to brush off the fact that his dad literally said 'not to investigate' and that's exactly what we're doing?" Gavin and James looked at each other and shrugged at Ty.

"Yeah"
"Pretty much" Ty groaned and slammed his head against the wooden table.

"Sometimes you two frustrate me"

"Aww what did you guys do to poor Ty? Do I need to give someone a beating lion boy?" Melody had arrived, leaving her usual other half on the other side of the classroom to talk to the boys peacefully.

"I doubt it would do much of a difference Mel, but thanks" The girl smiled brightly, still refusing to sit down even though there was a free stool next to Ty.

"I heard we're learning amorentia this year. Maybe James and Zoe will finally realize they have the hots for each other after smelling it" James scoffed.

"She's the one in denial, not me" Melody slowly itched backwards towards the known Slytherin side of the potions room.

"Touché Potter. Tou-fucking-ché" And so the pink haired girl sat next to the brooding Wood child again.

Zoe could feel James' stare on her, but she refused to give in to the temptation to look back. Until a high pitched voice came from his general direction.

"Oh Godric, you're THE James Potter?" James noticed how the blonde Gryffindor girl who approached them had caused Zoe to look over. And being his stupid self, decided to pry into Zoe's jealousy button.

"In the flesh. And you are?" The blonde giggled, nearly crashing into Gavin as she tried to get closer to James.

"Imogen. Total fan of the hair by the way, I never noticed it was that fluffy" The sentence reminded him all too much of Zoe.

When they were younger she always used to point out that his hair was fluffier than it appeared to be at first sight, wether it was out of spite or admiration. He never knew.

"So I've been told. I've also been told I'm way more charming outside of a broody dungeon" Imogen giggled again, her fingers delicately caressing his arm.

"The dungeons too dark for the Potter prince? Our apologies your highness, would you like us to blow a hole in the wall so it is more to your liking?" James eyes easily peeled away from Imogen in front of him, to a fuming Zoe across the room. Their surrounding classmates quietly laughing at her words.

"I would actually. Would you mind also bringing me a coffee and your quidditch trophies? I feel they would match better red and gold than green with silver" The laughter got progressively louder.

"What? Not talented enough to get your own trophies Potter? Damn, this does prove you're all beauty and no brains. Or better said all prince and even more coward" The class arose into full on laughter at the striking pair.

James raised his arms in surrender, smirking at the Wood girl who had replicated his face expression. It seemed the only times he would make her smile was when he was getting teased and lost the argument. So if what it took to see her in such state was him surrendering a fight, he would do it in a heartbeat without question.

"Alright, quiet down class, quiet down.

My name is Professor Slughorn as most of you know, and I will be  foreseeing your studies in Potions this year and your education towards your OWL's. I suggest we start with some review, open your books to page five"

————————————————————————

a/n: My wisdom teeth have decided to finally make an appearance, and they hurt like hell. How did my toddler self do this- And even better I can't get them removed because I would be at a VERY high risk for infection so I'm just gonna have to deal with them- Just amazing and I right?

In other news, James is an idiot and Zoe is my girlfriend without her knowing. Vote and comment for more 'cause yk u wanna do it ;)