Chapter 21: Busted

AMELIA

I hang up the phone before turning towards the way I came from, running. 

What the fuck?

WHAT THE FUCK?! 

My plan of running away wasn't really well thought out, though, because Chris is much faster than me and my room is only three doors down. 

"Amelia!" I hear him yell as he runs after me. 

I get to my room, swiping my key card to let me in before quickly shutting the door behind me. 

Within a second I hear pounding on my door, "Amelia! Let me explain! PLEASE!" 

I look around my room in a panicked state, my hands moving to my hair and tugging at it. 

WHAT. THE. FUCK. 

This isn't real. This can't be real. 

This. isn't. real. 

But I'm quickly reminded that it is real when I hear Chris yelling, "Ames, open the fucking door!" 

For some reason I can't resist it, opening it up only slightly as I yell, "What?!" 

He pushes inside and closes the door behind him, making me take a few steps back. 

"You can't be in here!" I yell at him. 

"The hell I can't!" He yells back, "You have feelings for me, don't you?!" 

I'm immediately taken aback, staring at him wide eyed. 

"I-" I stammer, "N-no, I'm.." 

Chris sighs, running a hand through his hair, the look on his face panicked and concerned. 

"Fuck, this is not how you were supposed to find out. I had a plan for this, I had-" 

"You had a plan?" I ask, finally gathering my wits. I cross my arms, glaring at him, "Tell me your brilliant plan. Please." 

He looks at me pleadingly, "Ames, please. I didn't mean-" 

"Don't call me that," I quickly say, "That's not yours." 

He furrows his brows, "What's not mine?" 

"Ames," I say sternly, "If you hadn't gotten so comfortable with Taylor's nickname for me, I would have never found out. And can I just say that you are way too comfortable with that? I don't even know you!" 

He frowns as he takes a step closer, his tone soft and gentle when he speaks, "Amelia, you clearly already know that's not true." 

"Doesn't matter," I say, staying stern, "You can't use Ames." 

"Fine," Chris scoffs, "Does sweetheart work for you? Oh, how about darling? That work?" 

I furrow my brows a little as I look down at my feet. 

"Amelia, answer me. Would you prefer for me to use those?" 

He takes another step closer and I snap my head up to face him, "No! You can't use any of those! You have no right!" 

"Oh, I have the right! I earned the right." 

"No!" I yell, "You didn't!  The person you were making up did!" 

He sighs again, "Amelia, please. I can explain all of this to you, just let me-" 

"I don't want to hear your explanation," I say, squaring my jaw at him. 

"You don't?" he asks, "So you don't care at all about what transpired the past month?" 

I scan his face for a moment, feeling myself getting emotional but I know I also refuse to let it show, making me take another step back,"N-no. I don't need to know about how you tricked me. How much fun you had with that. Just get out!" 

"Amelia, I didn't trick you. That person you know, that's me. All of it, everything I told you, that's me." 

"That's not true!" I yell before my voice starts wavering as the tears catch up to me, "You lied.." 

Within a split second he's right in front of me and his hand hesitantly takes mine.

I let him, even though I don't know why, and he holds it gently. 

When he speaks, his voice is soft, "Yes. I lied. And I'm really sorry. I never wanted you to find out like this." 

"You mean you never wanted me to find out," I reply, sniffling as I feel the tears gathering. I pull my hand from his, wiping my tears away as I whisper, "How could you do this to me?" 

"Amelia," he whispers, "I didn't. I promise. It's not like that. Not at all.." 

I look up at him and more tears pool in my eyes as I stand before the man that used to hold my heart because I imagined him, but who is now also the man currently holding my heart because I know him. 

Or I thought I did. 

And it felt so real. 

So fucking real. 

I quietly whisper, "Then what is this?" 

Another tear trickles down my cheek and my breath hitches slightly when he reaches out to wipe it away with his thumb before his hand cups my cheek. 

"I.. I needed to know. I needed to know you. I needed to know if this.. If you.." 

He trails off as he looks into my eyes and it makes my heart break because I don't understand why I had to stand victim to this. 

"You used me," I whisper, another tear trailing down my cheek as I take a step away from him again. 

"No!" He exclaims, "No, I didn't, I promise! Please, just listen! I didn't use you, I saw you and I needed to know you. I needed to. I couldn't help myself, I couldn't stop. At first it was just fun, interesting, but once we started talking on the phone everything changed. Everything I said was true, Amelia. I think about you every day, I miss you when I don't hear from you. I..." he trails off before whispering, "I think about you all day long. That's never happened to me before." 

He continues, "And I didn't know what it was, but the other night, even when you were too drunk to stand properly, you said no. I tried, I put my arm around you and you shrugged it off. Told me there was someone else. Because you didn't know I was him. What you felt was real, you can't deny that. It's real." 

I shake my head, "Chris, how can I trust you after you lied to me? How can I believe anything you're telling me right now? How can I ever forgive you for this?" 

"You have to," he says, his eyes pleading with me. 

"No," I say, shaking my head, "I don't." 

"Yes," he says, taking a step closer once again, before his hands cup my face. I want to shrug him off me, tell him to fuck off and never come back, but it feels too good to be touched by him. 

"You have to forgive me because this is real. You know it's real.." 

He looks at me hesitantly before slowly wrapping his arms around me, waiting for me to push him away. 

When I don't, he pulls me closer, and in one sudden move I have my arms wrapped around his waist as his envelop me. 

"This is real," he whispers into my hair, "It's real." 

✦✧✦✧

Liked this chapter? Please remember to vote and comment! ♡