Chapter 148: There For You

AMELIA

I tug Chris with me to the opposite side of the large office space, walking determinedly towards a specific cubicle. 

I lock eyes with her when she glances up at us again, hers going wide once she realizes we're approaching her. I walk up to her cubicle with a large smile, holding onto Chris' hand as I speak, "Ashley, there's someone I'd like you to meet." 

Ashley's eyes are wide as saucers when she looks from me to Chris, who's standing a little behind me, smiling politely. She quickly gets up from her chair, clearly a nervous wreck when she takes a few steps closer. 

"Uh, h-hi, I'm Ashley," she stutters out with a small wave to Chris. 

I release his hand to step aside, giving him better space to introduce himself. 

"Hi, I'm Chris. Nice to meet you." 

"Y-you too," she stutters nervously, "I'm a really b-big fan.." 

The nervous energy is practically oozing off of her, and I almost feel guilty about springing this on her. It wasn't my intention to make her uncomfortable, but I remember our conversations and I know she's a big fan of his. 

Luckily, Chris seems to have experience with starstruck fans like this, because he remains cool and collected as he speaks. 

"Thank you so much," he replies, smiling warmly, "That's very sweet of you to say. I assume you like Marvel movies, then?"

"Y-yeah," she breathes out with a nervous chuckle, "I really like the Cap ones.. You and, uhm, Sebastian. You're my favorites.." 

Her stutter subsides slowly, her eyes fanning over his face as he smiles at her. I turn towards her, putting my hand on her arm to give it a reassuring squeeze, "Chris came to surprise me, so I figured you'd like to meet him. I remember our talks in the breakroom." 

Ashley's eyes move from Chris to me before she smiles widely, "Oh, okay, yeah.. Cool.. That's great. T-thank you, that's very nice of you.." 

Her eyes move back to Chris, who's still smiling politely, a nervous tension filling the air between the three of us. 

"You're welcome," I smile, glancing over at Chris and then back at her, "We don't want to keep you, just wanted to say hi. We'll let you get back to your work now." 

She swallows thickly, nodding, "Yep, okay, cool. Well, nice to meet you." 

She extends her hand out to Chris, her fingers trembling slightly when he takes it and gives it a small shake before letting go, "Nice to meet you too. Have a nice day." 

"Thanks, you too," she chirps, watching as Chris and I step out of her cubicle and walk back to my own. 

I lean closer to Chris when we're almost back at my desk, whispering quietly, "Sorry if that made you uncomfortable, I wasn't expecting her to be that nervous." 

"It's okay," he replies as we arrive at my desk, "I'm used to that by now. I just feel bad on their behalf because there's nothing I can do to make it easier, you know? I wish I could tell them to just relax and breathe, but even when I've done that in the past it's rarely worked." 

"Worked with me," I chuckle as I pick up my phone to check my schedule for the rest of the day. 

"Yeah, but you're a unicorn," he smirks, resting his arm on the half wall surrounding my desk so he can lean on it, "That's why you're my favorite. I love unicorns, they're so pretty." 

I roll my eyes in amusement before I look up from my phone screen, "Okay, I just have a few things to finish up and then I'm done for the day. You okay with waiting a few minutes? Then we can go to my place together."