Chapter 31: Another Stranger

AMELIA

The makeup artist doing Taylor's makeup wipes her hands as she says, "I'm going to go work on Chris' wound while this dries up and I'll come back to do the rest." 

Taylor nods at her, taking the opportunity to finally eat his breakfast. The artist starts working on Chris' arm and he barely looks up from his phone as she does. 

I take out my own phone, figuring I might as well distract myself with social media if no one in the real world is going to be paying me any attention..

When I see I have a snap chat notification from an ex-flirt, I groan. 

Taylor chuckles, "What?" 

I roll my eyes and show him my screen, making him bark out a laugh, "Really? He's still on his bullshit?" 

I nod and sigh, "Apparently. He must have realized he was blocked everywhere else. I didn't even know he had my snap chat." 

I read the text from my ex and I laugh, "Jeez, look at this." 

I show Taylor the message, a 2 am text that just says I miss you and he laughs with me. 

"He was probably wasted," Taylor says.

"No need to shove a 'probably' in there, he definitely was," I say as I leave the message on read. 

"Who was wasted?" 

Taylor and I both stop chuckling and I look at Chris in the mirror. His eyes are finally meeting mine and it makes heat run through my body. 

"Oh, uh, this guy I used to... Date?" I scrunch my face up as I look at Taylor, "Would you call it dating?" 

Taylor chuckles, "Probably not. Dating is too generous." He looks at Chris in the mirror, "Ames used to fuck him and sometimes they would eat as well." 

I laugh and punch Taylors shoulder, "Shut up. Asshole." 

That makes Taylor laugh even more and I don't notice how quiet Chris has gotten. 

But I do notice the tension in his jaw when I look back at him. His eyes meet mine for a moment before dropping back to his phone, the sinking feeling in my stomach returning at once. 

I clear my throat, "Yeah, well, I haven't dated much so this is as close as it gets, I guess.." I trail off as I dive back into the comfort of my phone, of somewhere far away from where I currently am right now. 

✦✧✦✧

Once the makeup artist finishes her work, Taylor and Chris both make their way over to the costume department to get ready for their scene. 

Chris barely even acknowledged my presence the rest of the time in the trailer, engulfed in his phone. All he did was mutter 'see you both later' as he left to go get into costume. 

Pierre looks at me with furrowed brows when we walk from the trailer over to the set where the scene will be. 

"Why was it so awkward in there?" 

I quickly look at him, "I don't know! Pierre, he barely even looked at me. What the hell?!" 

Pierre nods, "Yeah, that was fucking weird. Especially considering how he was this morning. Maybe he was trying to keep a low profile in front of the makeup artist?" 

I sigh, "Maybe. But you see? This is exactly why I need to take it slow and not expect anything. Imagine if I had. My heart would have been broken right now. And my pride."