Chapter 139: A Brother Knows

AMELIA

Once we've finished up dinner, we all head back to the hotel. 

Lisa and Scott follow us into Chris' room, and Dodger comes running up to greet us excitedly. 

Chris immediately goes all in, kneeling down on the floor to practically bathe in his love, and it makes me chuckle softly. I scratch Dodger behind the ear while I ask Chris, "Should I go take him for a walk? Then you guys can catch up a little." 

"Alone?" Lisa asks worriedly, "It's getting late." 

"It's really not a problem, Lisa," I smile softly, "I live in New York, I'm used to it." 

Chris frowns as he stands up to look at me, "Ma is right, I don't like you walking around alone at night. I should come with you." 

"No," I immediately shake my head, placing my palm flat on his chest, "Please don't. That'll just be more of a hassle than it would be a help." 

Chris' frown turns even deeper, and he sounds practically offended when he says, "What? No, it's late, people won't recognize me if I just put on a hat." 

I roll my eyes, "Really? Not even with your famous dog in tow? Come on, Chris, I'll be gone for five minutes. It's fine. We'll just go on a quick walk." 

"No," he responds, his tone sterner this time, "I don't like it, you won't be safe, and-" 

"Guys!" Scott interrupts, making both Chris and I look at him, "It's fine. I'll go with her. Chris, you and mom stay back, have some bonding time. And I'll have some with your girlfriend." 

Chris' frown stays on his face for a couple of seconds before he directs his next words to his brother, "Are you going to keep her safe if something happens?" 

Scott rolls his eyes at his brothers dramatics, nodding shortly, "Yes, big strong alpha guy. I will keep her safe. I promise to protect her with my life." He puts added infliction on the last two words, making me snort as Scott continues, "Happy now?" 

Chris eyes him for a moment before he relents, "I'm not happy. But it'll do." 

Scott scoffs before he walks over to grab the leash for Dodger. I look down at the pup staring up at me with a happy look on his face before I coo, "Ready to go on a walk, pretty boy? You've been cooped up in here all night, come on, let's go get some air!" 

Dodger jumps up excitedly, running after Scott when he heads to the door, and just as I'm about to follow, Chris' hand grabs mine. He gently tugs me back to him, his expression serious when he looks down at me. I offer him a smile as I tilt my head up to meet his eyes, whispering, "It's fine baby, stop being so paranoid." 

"You know I prefer being around," he whispers, and I can tell he's worried, but I also know he's being completely overdramatic. 

"It's just a small walk," I whisper, leaning up to peck his lips quickly, "We'll be back in a second. Go, talk to your mom. I'm sure she's got a lot more stories to tell you. Maybe she even has a matching bracelet to give you." 

A small smile breaks out on his face at my words, and he leans down to kiss me gently before he whispers, "Fine. But if he tries to steal you I'm going to kick his ass." 

✦✧✦✧

Scott and I walk Dodger around the block, the sidewalk lit up by the lampposts adorning it. I'm holding onto Dodgers leash as he leads the way, sniffing happily and marking his territory with practically every single step.