Chapter 30: Uncertainty

AMELIA

I start feeling nervous again as Pierre and I walk up to the makeup trailer. 

I don't even know if Chris will be there, but theres a chance he will and thats enough to set off my nerves again. 

Before stepping inside, I grab Pierres arm, "How do I look? Anything stuck in my teeth?" 

I smile for him to check and he looks me over, "You look fine Ames." 

"Fine?" I ask as my smile drops. 

"Great!" he quickly corrects, "Great! You look great!" 

I chuckle, "Yeah, thanks." 

We make our way into the trailer and I can practically feel my heart in my throat. But when we step inside and all I see is Taylor sitting there as the artist does his makeup, I instantly feel disappointed. 

Oh. He's not here. 

I can feel the nerves disappear as quickly as they came and I actually feel a bit deflated. Guess I was looking forward to seeing Chris even if I pretended I wasn't. 

"Hey kid," I say as I plop down on one side of Taylor as Pierre sits on the other, "We got you food and water." I place the water bottle in front of him and he quickly grabs it. 

"Oh good. I am overheating right now." He takes a big sip of the water and I start picking at my food as I watch the makeup artist do her magic. 

"That looks extensive," I say as I look at what she's doing to his face, "How long does this normally take?" 

The makeup artist looks at me a bit in surprise before replying, "Yeah, uh, when they get hurt it always takes a lot longer. We use prosthetics for the wounds. It can easily take a few hours, depending on how much we have to do." 

I nod and hum as I chew on a piece of fruit. Once I swallow it I ask her again, "How long have you been doing this?" 

I can see Taylor looking at me weirdly and I shrug at him. The makeup artist continues working on the fake wound on his cheek as she replies, "Been working with this crew since the first Avengers movie." 

"Oh wow!" I exclaim in surprise, "That's a really long time! But that's so cool. You probably know all of them really well, then." 

She chuckles, "Most of them. I mainly do the males, they tend to get the most extensive injuries. I also do their normal makeup, but there's a different artist who does the women's makeup." 

I nod again, taking a few more bites of my food. 

"I feel like I've seen you before," she then says as she looks at me for a moment. 

I furrow my brows at her, "What do you mean?" 

"You just.. You look familiar.." She says as she drags it out a little, narrowing her eyes and tilting her head as she looks at me. Then she shrugs and goes back to doing Taylors makeup. 

"Maybe you've seen her on my phone or something?" Taylor suggests and the artist nods, "Yeah, you know what, that might be it. Do you have instagram?" 

I nod at her, "Yeah, I do." 

"I think I've seen you on there," she says absentmindedly. I smile, "Well, Taylor sometimes post pictures of us, so if you follow him I guess it could have been on there?" 

"Yeah.." she says slowly, "I guess. I feel like it's from somewhere else, though." She furrows her brows for a moment as she applies more makeup to his cheek.

I look at Taylor in confusion, "Did you ever call me while getting your makeup done? I don't think I've seen this place before." 

"I don't remember," Taylor says, "But I probably did." 

He shrugs and I do too. 

I take a few more bites of food before yawning. That makes me turn to Pierre and Taylor, "I think I'm going to go grab a cup of coffee, seems like this will be a long day. You guys want anything?" 

"None for me," Taylor says, "I can't have any hot drinks while they're doing my makeup." The makeup artist working on his face nods to confirm. 

"I'll have a latte, please," Pierre says with a smile and it makes me chuckle. 

"Coming right up." 

I get up from the chair and walk out of the trailer, back to Craft services. I don't see anyone on the way and it's making me feel a bit.. sad. This place is really quiet today, at least compared to the last time we were here. But I guess that's because they're spending all day shooting these scenes, and they only have Taylor and Chris in them. So the rest of the cast probably have the day off to work out or run lines. 

Once I get two lattes from Craft I make my way back to the makeup trailer. I'm in my head entirely as I walk back, not really paying attention to what I'm doing because my mind is wandering. Thoughts of last night and of this morning are filtering through my brain as I walk up the steps and pull the door open. 

I don't even realize I've made my way back to the trailer before I walk in with the two coffees, placing one in front of Pierre as I mumble, "Here you go." 

Pierre just smiles widely at me and I furrow my brows at his weird behavior before making my way back to my seat. I take a sip of my coffee and walk over, not looking where I'm going. 

But then I practically choke on my coffee once I make my way over to my chair. 

My chair is not taken, it's waiting for me to sit down, but my heart is beating out of my chest because of the person now sitting next to me, on the opposite side of where Taylor is. 

"Hi," I mumble as I sit down and look over at Chris.

Chris is on his phone and looks up when he hears my voice, startled, "Oh! Hey," He smiles at me, nodding towards my coffee, "You didn't bring me one?" 

My cheeks flush and I look over at the coffee in a panic, "No, I-uh-I didn't-" 

He chuckles, "I'm just messing with you. Don't worry." 

He turns his attention back to his phone and I nod, chuckling shortly before taking a sip of my coffee. 

I feel a little strange sitting between Chris and Taylor, because I would naturally want to turn my body towards Taylor to talk to him, but if I do that, I'm turning my back on Chris. 

I look at Taylor through the mirror, making eye contact as I ask, "So, what's the scene today?" 

"Aftermath of the fight scene we did last week. I get hurt," he gestures to his face, "And we find shelter. Cap patches me up and then we have a heart to heart. It's this scene that really makes us bond in the movie." 

"Yeah, this one will be setting the tone for the rest of the movie," Chris then says and I look at him, in the mirror. My eyes don't meet his because he's still looking at his phone, but he's obviously paying attention to the room. 

I nod, "Okay, cool. Sounds like you two will be having your hands full."

"Yeah," Chris says with a sigh, "It'll probably take all day, if we even manage to finish today." 

I nod again, looking at him through the mirror and I get a nagging feeling in my stomach when he still doesn't look up at me. 

It feels like he's trying to purposely not look at me, or meet my eyes, and it makes me anxious.

 Why isn't he looking at me? 

✦✧✦✧

Liked this chapter? Please remember to vote and comment! ♡