Chapter 165: Negotiating

AMELIA

"Ames, come on. Please, you have to come. This will be the biggest moment of my career so far, I want - no, I need - you by my side."

I sigh audibly, shifting the phone from one ear to another as I make a cup of tea, "T, I'm sorry, but I can't do it. I can't see him, I'm not ready. It's too much. I won't be able to hold it together."

"Amelia, please," he begs, "I need you. And seeing him might not be such a bad thing, I really think it's time you hear him out, let him expl-"

"Don't," I cut him off abruptly, putting the kettle back down a little harsher than I intended, "Don't you dare. I can't believe you would even try to say that, you're supposed to have my back. You're my best friend."

"I do have your back," he scoffs, his tone turning sterner, "But I've also worked with him for months. And I've watched him fall apart. He told me the real story, who she is, and it honestly-"

"Taylor," I warn, my eyes narrowing as I stir my cup of tea with a spoon, "Enough. I don't want to hear it. It's none of your business. Stay out of it."

"Fine," he grumbles, his tone quickly turning softer when he says, "But that doesn't change the fact that I need you there."

"Why do you need me? I thought Pierre was going."

"He was supposed to," Taylor sighs sadly, "But his grandfather died. He has to go be with his family, and to the funeral. I would never expect him to skip that for a lousy award show."

My teeth dig into my bottom lip at his words. Damn it. I can't let him go alone, he deserves the support. Being asked to present at the Golden Globes is a huge honor. Pierre going with him was my way out, but I won't exactly argue that he should miss his grandfathers funeral for it.

God fucking damn it.

"Okay, fine," I relent with a heavy sigh, my eyes closing as the pain washes over me, "Fine, I'll go. But please, I can't be around him. I'm going to need as much distance as possible between him and I. I'm not ready to talk to him about it yet, my mind is still in pieces. And an event would be the worst possible place to do it."

Taylor stays silent for a few seconds, and I can sense that he wants to argue with me, but I also know he won't.

"Okay, I'll make sure you don't have to be around him. I promise."

"Thank you."

The deep sigh Taylor lets out makes a pit of guilt form in my stomach, my words quieter as I stir my tea, "Do you know how he's doing?"

Taylor pauses for a moment, his tone more sullen when he replies, "I thought you didn't want to know." 

I sigh, mirroring the one he let out just seconds earlier when I turn to look out the window of my apartment. It's a bleak January afternoon, the sky gray and not inviting at all. I've been working non-stop but the trial has finally wrapped up, successfully for us considering the guilty verdict that asshole received. But the absence of distraction has made me more aware than ever of how lonely I've been ever since the last time I saw him, even if I've done my best to tell myself it wasn't so. 

"I don't," I whisper, closing my eyes to gather my thoughts, "I don't know, maybe I do. I just feel like it's easier for me to pretend he doesn't exist, right now. You know?"

I can hear Taylor hesitating before he replies, his voice gentle, "I know, honey. I understand, trust me. I don't want you to think I'm pressuring you into forgiving him or even seeing him. But I do feel like it'd be better for you if you did talk to him, especially now that you've had time to reflect on everything. From what I gathered, the talk you guys had wasn't very productive. Emotions were running high. Maybe it could be different now that you guys have had a break from it all.."