Chapter 68: Sunset

AMELIA

We leave the bathroom after spending a bit of time cleaning ourselves up. 

Chris reluctantly handed me back my panties - I made a point to tell him that I refused to walk around with him all over me without underwear, and luckily he was reasonable about it.

I am hyper aware as we walk back out into the restaurant and thank the host and waiters for their wonderful service. I'm looking at all of them with a faint blush on my cheeks, my smile small and polite, because I have a feeling they all know what just happened in the bathroom. 

There were only two guests in this entire restaurant, and both guests disappeared at the same time and were gone for the exact same amount of time. It doesn't take a genius to figure out. 

Thank god for NDA's. 

Chris, on the other hand, remains completely unfazed as he thanks the host with a wide smile, standing tall and confident as he praises the meal and service. His arm is around my waist the entire time he talks, gesturing with his other hand to accentuate his words. 

I glance shyly towards the bar, spotting a girl in a waitress uniform watching me with a small smile. She looks to be in her twenties, and when she notices me looking, her eyes quickly dart up to Chris before landing back on me, and then her smile widens. She raises her brows as she looks at me, and then she gives me an impressed nod. 

It immediately makes me chuckle, and I smile back at her before giving her a nod and a wink in response. It makes her giggle quietly, holding eye contact with me for a moment before she darts her eyes down to the ground, a small smile still playing on her lips. 

✦✧✦✧

We walk out of the garden back towards the parking lot side by side, Chris' hand on the small of my back, guiding me. 

I remember the way back myself but I like when he takes charge like this, and he does too, so I don't mention it. I just lean into his arm more, a small smile planted on my face the entire time. 

By the time we actually leave the botanical garden its already late afternoon and I'm a little surprised when I see the sun hanging pretty low in the sky. 

We make our way into the car and as soon as our seatbelts are buckled, I turn to Chris, "So, what are we doing now?"

"Depends on what you're in the mood for, baby." 

I furrow my brows as I think for a moment, "I don't know, really. I'm definitely full and I'm feeling kinda tired, but I also don't want the day to end." 

Chris smiles softly as he reaches over and takes my hand, "We can do whatever you want, honey. We can go back to the hotel or we can go for a walk, or go watch a movie, or we can even just drive around if thats what you'd prefer." 

I chuckle and shake my head, "Oh god, so many options again." 

Chris' smile widens as his thumb caresses my knuckles, "I know bug, but this time, I can't choose for you." 

I look at him with furrowed brows, "Bug?"

"Yeah," he says with a chuckle, "You know, like lovebug. I thought about it when we were in the butterfly enclosure. And I felt like calling you butterfly might be a little long for a nickname." 

I giggle and nod, "Yeah, you have a point.. Lovebug.. Hmm, I like it." 

"You do?" 

"Yeah, it's cute," I say, beaming at him, "I like being your lovebug." 

He chuckles again, bringing my hand up to his lips before leaving soft kisses on my knuckles, "Well good. It's staying then." 

✦✧✦✧

We ended up going for a drive up the mountains, watching as the sun hung low over the city. Chris held my hand as we watched it cover the cityscape and mountains in its orange-pink hue, and then we took pictures, first of the view and then of each other. 

I took several of Chris alone, some when he didn't know I was doing it, because I know I'm going to miss him terribly once I leave, and having pictures of memories together will help. 

It will help soothe the longing ache that I know will seep into my bones, deeper and deeper, the more time we have to spend apart. 

I also took videos. Of the view, of our fingers entwined, of the landscape with his laugh booming in the background. And once in a while I would direct my camera at him, softly saying smile baby, which he did, because he's a gentleman. 

And I suspect, also because he knows what it will mean to me, to have moments like these stored for whenever we have to be apart. 

He also took photos and videos. Except his phone is old, and he looks even older than he actually is when he takes pictures - he looks a little bit like a dad trying to figure out how it works. 

It made me giggle whenever he held his phone in front of his face, his brows a little furrowed, but that only made him happy, because all he would say was yes, just like that bug, you look so beautiful when you laugh. 

✦✧✦✧

Once we drive back to the hotel, its late, darkness settling over the city. 

I feel myself dozing off in my seat, the long day combined with the heat of the sun has made me feel sleepy and a little dizzy. 

I'm only faintly aware of my seatbelt being unbuckled before my body is being pulled to the other side of the carseat, and then maneuvered into a familiar lap. 

I sigh happily, half asleep with my eyes closed, as I snuggle into the firm chest, strong arms wrapping around my body, encasing me in his warmth. 

And then I fall asleep as he holds me, while the city passes by outside the window. 

✦✧✦✧

Liked this chapter? Please remember to vote and comment! ♡