3

I woke the next day with an awfully sore head, just as predicted for Jon Snow, so I stayed curled up in my bed while Marin told Mother that the food from last night had made me unwell.

When the sun was at its highest, Marin returned with some food and insisted I ate but I refused, my stomach turning at the thought.

"Just a piece of bread then" She pushed it into my hand and I sighed, sitting up and leaning against the headboard of my bed.

"How do my parents do this" I grumbled, chewing on the hard crust of the bread.

"I'm sure they get used to it, your grace" She responded calmly, she proceeded to lay out a olive green thick cotton dress, "Your mother does insist that you get up"

"Does she?" I scowled, pulling back the furs and climbing out of the warm sheets.

"I believe she wishes for you to spend time with Lady Sansa," Marin informed me, taking my nightdress and helping me into the olive dress.

"Convince her that Joffrey is perfect and she would be lucky to be his queen" I guessed, twirling a strand of my hair round my finger.

"Something like that" She confirmed and ushered me to the chair on the other side of the room where she began running a wooden comb through my dark hair.

"I trust they treat you well here" I asked kindly, looking down at my clasped hands.

"Very well indeed," She smiled, "It's you that keeps me up until late and then stumbles into bed"

"Oh I'm sorry" I put my head in my hands, "It was so terribly dull and the food was awful, I much preferred the wine"

"I'm sure you did" She chuckled as she pinned the front strands of my hair back like my mothers, then her face changed and she whispered, "Don't lie to the Stark girl"

"I wish I didn't have to" I took a deep breath, "Sadly she is now trapped, she will marry Joffrey no matter what. I don't even think her father could refuse now"

"What a fate" Marin sighed, "And what about the Stark boy, he brought you to your room last night"

"He's kind but Marin, I'm only fifteen, I don't want to marry yet, not in my heart. I know I will have to, perhaps Robb Stark will be a lesser evil"

"I know" She patted my shoulders, "You could be marrying Lord Frey himself remember"

We both grimaced then laughed and she sent me off to find the young Stark girl.

As I did at home, we spent the entire afternoon embroidering and stitching. A kindly septa was helping Sansa while Arya sat grumpily in the corner, I sat quietly and tried to avoid any questions regarding Joffrey despite Sansa being almost irritating with her constant questions. He was not the one for her and that was certain.

Later that afternoon was when tragedy struck. When Bran Stark fell from that tower and the atmosphere in Winterfell shifted almost instantaneously. I had only known the boy a couple days but he was sweet and adventurous, I felt an awful empty feeling in my stomach at the thought of that poor little boy suffering.

I left the younger Starks to be with their brother, so I retreated back to my siblings, cherishing them that little bit more than I did before.

"Will he be alright?" Myrcella asked quietly, Tommen had long since fallen asleep on my bed and I was sat at my window watching the older Stark sons fight with their swords in the courtyard.

"I do hope so" I confessed, pride flaring in my chest as Robb quickly overpowered Theon Greyjoy, knocking him to the floor. Jon applauded, patting his half brother affectionately on the shoulder and grinning from ear to ear, Theon was most definitely not grinning.

"He was nice" Myrcella continued sadly, she was sat on my bed as well and had begun picking the hairs off my fur covers.

"He was" I replied, sighing deeply and finally deciding I had to offer my condolences and support to the boys downstairs.

"Lya?" My sister sat bolt upright.

"Stay with Tommen, I won't be a moment" I slipped on my warmest cloak and then ducked out my room quickly. I wandered through the endless damp hallways until I reached the courtyard, I could hear the swords clashing before I saw them and when I did I couldn't help but smile. Robb was taking on Jon, both flushed and clenching their jaws as they blocked and attacked. Lifting my skirts, I waded out into the snow until I came to stand beside the young Greyjoy who was engrossed in the battle.

"Your grace" He greeted calmly, not evening offering me a simple glance. I ignored him and continued to watch the brothers battle, they were both strong and tactful, finding each other's weaknesses quickly.

Suddenly Jon overpowered Robb, landing a tap to his brothers shoulder but before he could celebrate, Robb brushed him off and came back with fire. I gasped at the quick turnaround, Theon smirked and shot a sideways glance at me.

"Seen enough?" He flirted, I turned and raised my eyebrows.

"Absolutely not" I replied, answering his question and his blatant offer, then I took a large step to my right, away from him.

The fighting continued, I frowned as it didn't usually last this long. It was almost as if neither wanted the other to lose, I couldn't imagine why as I was sure sibling rivalry was a thing for the Starks as much as it was for others. Then I watched as both repeatedly looked up at the same spot, as I turned I understood. Lord Eddard Stark was stood up on the castle walls, watching his sons intently but he didn't look as if he wanted them to fight, he wanted them to have fun.

Eventually, Robb won and the pair almost collapsed into the snow, their faces a comedic shade of bright pink. As they made their way back to Theon, Robb quickly noticed me and a smile extended across his face and he jogged over.

"Your gra- Lya" He corrected and I smiled meekly at him. "What brings you out here?"

"I wanted to offer my condolences and my wish for your brothers quick recovery" I told him, clasping my cold hands under my cloak.

His face fell, "Thank you" He murmured and I could see Jon's face make the same motion. "He should wake"

"He will wake" Jon amended, stifling a small smile in my direction, "thank you, your grace"

"I only wished for you to feel my support" I nodded and continued, "I'm afraid we will soon return to Kings Landing"

"You will come visit again?" Robb asked outright and I chuckled lightly.

"Only if you promise to come to Kings Landing at least once" I responded, "I should love to see all of you again soon"

"Not me, your grace" Jon spoke up, running a hand over his direwolf Ghost's white furry head.

"Why is that?" I asked with sudden interest.

"Jon is leaving to join the nightwatch tomorrow night" Robb interjected, looking particularly solemn, he was going to miss his half-brother after all then.

"Oh how wonderful" I exclaimed and grinned at the young man, "You must be so excited"

"Yes" Jon answered quickly, turning and walking away to the castle, shrugging off his leather tunic.

"He's nervous" Theon sneered but Robb shot him a look and he too trudged away, muttering something under his breath.

"Thank you, about Bran" Robb put out there and I nodded carefully.

"It's the least I can do" I replied, "I can't imagine how you must be feeling", I considered it meticulously then reached out and took his hand and he looked up at me with wide eyes.

"He was always climbing" He sighed, I ran a thumb over the back of his hand, "but he never fell before"

"You think something happened?" I prodded but he shook his head violently.

"No." He stated, taking a step away and letting our hands fall apart, "I should go see him" and he almost ran away, his head down.

I stood in the courtyard alone, the snow falling on my head and running through my dark curls. A sigh fell out my lips and I allowed myself to drift back into the castle slowly.