28

"What's this about?" I interjected once we were far enough away from any ears that mattered.

"I'm acting Hand of the King and my first action should be to fix your engagement" My uncle stated calmly, I shot a glance in his direction.

"I'm not engaged" I tried to avoid any emotion in my voice but Uncle Tyrion had been at Winterfell and he knew, he was a smart man after all.

"You are officially" He corrected, I quickly realised we were heading to the Tower of the Hand, he wasn't joking about his new position then.

"Robb Stark will never marry me after everything that has just happened" I reminded him and he nodded along, taking in what I was saying and I could practically hear the cogs turning in his head.

"But to call off such a highly anticipated union, especially with Lady Sansa still in the Capital, would simply add fuel to the Starks fire"

"So I'm to wait until I'm rejected?" I growled, "You really wish for me to be humiliated across the kingdom?"

"Not at all, dear niece, I intend to keep you betrothed as long as possible" He opened the door for me, pulling out a chair along the way, I took it gratefully while he took the empty seat behind the desk. I imagined Lord Stark in that chair and my heart ached, he was a good and honourable man and he should still be sat there.

"I don't understand" I started then pursed my lips, chuckling lightly, "If I'm not engaged to Robb Stark then Joffrey has the power to marry me to anyone he chooses"

"Including some rather unfortunate candidates" My uncle pointed out and I smiled kindly at him.

"At least one person here has my best interests in mind" I sighed and I could see his face change ever so slightly from being my jokey funny uncle to a caring and concerned friend.

"Bronn" He called out and I flinched at the loud outburst but then his companion from earlier poked his head round the door, "Ensure we are not overheard", the man, Bronn, nodded curtly and closed the door.

"No matter how hard you try, you can't keep secrets here" I reminded him, sitting back in my seat with another sigh, twisting a lock of my hair around my finger, I continued to make my statement by not wearing it like my mother or Sansa but wearing it down, with a crown formed of my hair, a message to my brother.

"Be careful, Lya" Uncle Tyrion leaned on the desk on stared into my eyes, "You're like your father, impulsive, but when it comes to my sister, it doesn't work like that"

"I know, uncle, she's manipulative and snide but she's also weak and vulnerable when it comes to my brother" I hissed, "She couldn't stop him killing your predecessor and she didn't stop him from", I paused and broke eye contact, looking away.

"Your mother knows what you hold dear and will exploit that, don't let her know it" He insisted, standing up to pour himself a drink, he held the empty glass in my direction, I stared at it for several moments then rolled my eyes and nodded.

"It's a shame, she's meant to be my mother" I sipped the wine and chewed my lip, "marrying Robb Stark was an escape"

"I'm aware" He replied remarkably fast and I glanced up, "Lya, being the first born child can be a blessing... for a boy. But being the first born child and a girl? You spend your life pondering that question, why am I not the heir? And for you it's the most difficult question because it's the difference between being the leader of the Seven Kingdoms and being a wife, leading another family's house and kingdom."

"It's not that simple" I whispered, taking another long drink from my glass.

"But it is, I may be the youngest but as your other uncle cannot inherit then I am the heir" He continued, "Your grandfather will find any way for me to not be his heir and shamefully your mother is also incapable of taking the mantle so I understand your frustrations but you must be smart about it, don't give in to impulse. Joffrey will hurt you in any way he can if you as much as make a quip about being the rightful heir"

"Do you believe it?" I asked louder, he raised an eyebrow inquisitively, "Do you believe I'm the rightful heir?". Oh how I wished to lay the truth out before him but I kept a tight grip on my cards, he didn't need to know the legitimacy, but I needed to know if he thought I could.

"I have known the king since he was born, as have you, and we are both aware of his traits and what they lead to." He began, taking a sip of his own drink, lowering his voice, "I do believe another could be far better suited to his current position"

I sat back again, nodding calmly but before the conversation could continue, my uncle stood and walked around the table.

"It looks as if I am to attend my first Small Council meeting, we will continue our discussion regarding your betrothal and I expect you will heed my warning, dear niece" He patted my arm then went to the door, holding it open for me and ushering me out. While he went down the hall to the meeting room, I descended the stairs with a new feeling of hope blossoming inside me.