43

The journey was less treacherous than the last, sticking to the Kingsroad was much safer. But the silence was like a thick cloud and it felt like I was drowning in it every second.

When we settled for the night, one of the northern men unshackled me then proceeded to lift me from my horse.

"I can do it myself" I insisted but I was already planted on the floor, he just scowled and grabbed both my wrists again, dragging me to a thin trunk tree and shackling me to it.

"do us all a favour and be quiet" He grumbled and walked away, I pulled at the shackles but they were pretty sturdy so instead I just leaned back against the trunk and tried to sleep.

Only one of the five stayed awake at any one time, sitting in front of me and watching my closely and for a while, I just stared back.

The blanket that Nyla packed was wrapped tightly around me with an attempt to keep out the cold but I still quivered a little.

It must've been the middle of the night when I woke up and glanced around me.

The men were still sleeping, wrapped up in the blankets but also shaking from the icy weather that dropped overnight.

Strangely, I couldn't feel the eyes of the man who was watching me, I looked around for him but then noticed there were five bodies, he must've fallen asleep.

My wrists behind me were freezing, I pulled against the shackles a few times with a grumble.

But a crack sounded and I frowned, the shackles feeling looser, I pulled again and they fell open. Frozen I assumed and lost their structure. I jumped to my feet, clutching the blanket around me but when I stared down at the southern man who was meant to watch me, I almost screamed.

He most obviously was not accustomed to the weather, his eyes were frozen open and his face twisted in horror.

He had frozen to death and it sent a whole new wave of fear through me, so I knelt down and took the dagger protruding from his belt and held it tightly. Then I took his compass and found north, before taking off towards my horse whose saddle was gone, I frowned and searched around but one of the men stirred and I bolted.

Running through the forest, avoiding patches of snow for the sound until I was far enough away, I had hitched my skirts up until they practically around my waist and I raced through the forest, faster than I had ever run.

The cold hair clipped my skin and almost frozen my eyelashes but I ignored it all and focused on my feet hitting the floor repeatedly.

Whatever spurred me on, it worked, I ran for what felt like hours, checking the compass sporadically to keep my path straight.

I had to get somewhere safe before the men awoke and when searching for me but would they even know where I went? I could've gone east or west but never south, maybe they would split up? Send two one way, two another, then one somewhere else. Oh wait, one was dead, how would they split it then?

I tried to occupy my mind as best I could but I also had to know to not run into any trees.

It would take me days on foot to reach the wall, if I even made it, I was from the south after all, like that other fellow.

I kept pumping my legs until I couldn't run anymore I collapsed to the floor, breathing helplessly.

After several minutes on the ground, I got up and walked for a spell, breathing as deeply and efficiently as I could manage.

I would get away from them and my mother and I would cross that wall into a free world where I would live happily and on my own. All I had to do was get there in one piece and I was bloody well going to if it was the last thing I would ever do.