35

We spent the next couple of weeks travelling as far west as we could, hoping to find the Stark camp but we continued to travel until we did. Hordan wasn't even sure we were halfway there.

We were spending the night in another inn, eavesdropping on other people, trying desperately to find out anything about what was going on in the real world.

Hordan had sold his sword a while ago and we were still living off of the money from that, so we sat at a corner table, plates of boiled mutton which I didn't even know was a real food. However, when one isn't living as royalty and has a limited amount of money, apparently boiled mutton is a common delicacy.

"Another drink?" Hordan asked and I nodded, picking at the meat on my plate, trying to hide my grimace for his sake.

A group of hunters came in and sat behind me, I went rigid, especially when the began to chat amongst themselves. Nothing was particularly exciting until they began to talk about Robb.

"Do you think he's being a bit dim?" The first hunter questioned, his tone a bit uncertain.

"He wants to avenge old Lord Stark doesn't he?" The second hunter assumed, "Wouldn't you if that little nutter murdered your father?", my blood ran cold at the thought of poor Lord Stark.

"Yeah but inciting war?" The first hunter continued to ask questions, "Doesn't feel like it, maybe he's power hungry"

"Don't the Lannisters have his sisters? Sally and Arby?" The third hunter chimed in and they all began to laugh.

They were laughing over two young girls being held against their will, away from their mother and siblings. I wanted to give them a piece of my mind but I stayed very silent, picking at the mutton as a cover.

"Did Gannon not tell you what he heard?" The fourth hunter finally spoke and I was enticed by what this Gannon might've heard.

"Gannon? What would he know?"

"He's a Crakehall remember? His house have been loyal to the Starks for months now" The fourth hunter continued, "He's one of Robb Starks closest soldiers"

I sat up straight, setting my fork down quietly and nibbling on nail.

"What's been happening?"

"Well he and I have always kept a correspondence and he told me that Starks in trouble, deep trouble" The fourth hunter gossiped.

"Trouble?"

"remember when I told you a few weeks ago that Stark was going to marry a Frey girl"

"Yeah after he was meant to marry the Lannister girl"

"The Baratheon girl" The fourth corrected.

"Well he isn't going to marry either according to Gannon" The fourth explained and my heart sank like a rock, Robb really wouldn't marry me?

"Why's that then, Lorgan"

"He supposedly married another woman" Lorgan revealed, "Some unknown girl, apparently it's love but who can ever be sure"

Hordan put the tankards down and I immediately stood up, trying to hide the tears gathering in my eyes.

"I think I'll go to bed" I told him as calmly as I could get my voice.

"Lee-" He paused, not completely saying my name then corrected himself, "Desmera, is everything alright?"

I frowned at his choice of name, was I to pretend to be his sister now?

"It's alright" I wiped my palms on my skirts then headed for the stairs and into my room, leaning heavily on the closed door.

He married another woman. Robb married someone else. Who else? What happened to everything we spoke about?

It may have been almost two and a half years ago since I saw him, but I presumed he would keep his word to protect me.

Now there was another woman, I don't think any woman would be too happy for another young woman who was betrothed to her husband, staying with them indefinitely.

A gentle knock sounded at the door and I sighed, stepping away from the door.

"Come in"

Hordan slipped in, his face full of concern.

And I didn't beat around the bush, "Robb Stark is married", I muttered, sniffing.

"Lya" He sighed, "I'm sorry"

"I never imagined he would marry me after what my family had done to his but part of me hoped he wouldn't blame me" I explained.

"You don't need to explain anything to me, Lya" He assured me and I blinked away the tears.

"Hordan" I murmured.

He just looked at me, his eyes full of desire and sympathy but all I wanted to see was the desire and so I did.

Within seconds our lips had found each others, his arms wrapped tightly around my waist and my hands knotted in his red curls.

The crackling fire was the only sound we heard while we stood, in each other's embrace.

Not once did either of us go to remove any of each other's clothing, we were content enough to just feel safe in each other's arms.

The cold empty bed had never felt so homely than it did when Hordan lay next to me, we just stared into each other's eyes for what felt like forever. Eventually, falling asleep without foreheads resting against each other.