23

By the time I could bring myself to emerge from my rooms, it seemed like the world had flipped on its head. I went directly to the Tower of the Hand but it was sealed up tightly, frowning in confusion, I turned around and came face to face with Sansa Stark.

"Your grace" She whispered, her eyes tinged red with tears, instead of her usual pretty dresses and intricate hairstyles, she was in a simple gown like she wore in Winterfell and her beautiful auburn hair pinned back neatly and simply.

"Sansa" I replied, my frown not letting up, instead I was concerned by her appearance, "What happened?"

"They took him" She murmured, fiddling with the end of her hair and breathing in a shuddering breath, eyes filling with tears.

"Lord Stark?" I clarified and she squeezed her eyes shut and nodded slowly, "Why? Where?"

"I don't know" Sansa sobbed, "the queen said he committed treason, tried to take the throne from Joffrey but I don't believe it, my father wouldn't, he isn't like that"

"Shhhh" I comforted, placing my hands on her shoulders, "there must be some sort of mistake"

"I wrote to my brother" She continued, sniffing a couple times.

"Robb?" I responded, "What can he do? He's so far away"

"He needs to swear fealty to Joff- the king, then and only then will be father be acquitted" Sansa explained and I nodded along, taking deep breaths.

The thought of Robb being in Kings Landing was nice, I couldn't help but feel slightly selfish at the notion but if Lord Stark was detained for treason, it would be wholly unsafe for his heir to be away from Winterfell as well, and with Bran being injured? It was a terrible idea.

"Who gave you that idea?" I pressed even though I had a pretty good answer already.

All she had to do was meet my eye and I knew I was right.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
"What did you do?" I stormed into my mothers room, she was sat at her desk, writing something useless.

"Good morning, darling" She said calmly, not looking at me or even smiling.

I slammed the door loudly, trying hard to get a rise out of her but she just sighed and laid down her pen, looking at me with her hands clasped neatly in front of her.

"Lya" She acknowledged and I leaned heavily on the chair opposite her desk, grinding my jaw.

"First you allow Joffrey to murder my closest companion!" I started and raised my voice with every word, "Then you arrest the FATHER of my BETROTHED?"

"Do NOT raise your voice with me" She replied, standing slowly, "I am your mother."

"Then act like it" I responded with a growl, "For years, you have let Joffrey take everything from me! My inheritance, the crown, even aspects of my childhood, now my friend" I paused and gulped slightly, "And my future? You're letting him destroy an alliance with one of the most powerful houses in Westeros!"

"You are a daughter, Lya, you don't think every first born child has resented their status as a girl?" She scowled, "You cannot change that, the sooner you realise it, the easier your life is", she retrieved her pen and began scribbling again.

"You know it's not just that" I reminded her and she dropped her pen again.

"Joffrey is king, his decisions are his own" Mother unsuccessfully tried to reassure me.

"And you think he's right? You think he's going to be a good king?" I demanded and she looked up at me calmly.

"Ned Stark attempted to take the throne on false pretences, with a fake letter from your father" She told me and I had to hold back my laughter.

"Lord Stark was my fathers closest friend, did you not think perhaps the letter was real? Father trusted him more than anything" I insisted but she looked at me with a stern expression.

"He is a power hungry man, Lya, I'm sorry you trusted him" She continued whatever she was writing, "Don't be too disappointed that he wasn't the man you thought he was"

"And my marriage?" I questioned, leaning further forward.

"Will be discussed when the council convenes" Mother brushed off my questions

"So it could be over?"

"Robb Stark will be Lord of Winterfell if his father is found guilty and exiled, therefore a union would still be important" She mused, "But maybe we should be looking to the Reach, the Tyrells, or even the Arryns"

"How long must I wait for my future to be decided?" I insisted and she glanced briefly up at me.

"Your grandfather has been named Hand of the King, when he arrives and the council reconvenes, you will know"

"That's too long!" I cried out and stormed out the room, a little figure fell over when I shoved open the door and slammed it.

She stood up and brushed herself off, looking exceptionally guilty.

"Myrcella?" I questioned and she sighed.

"Why were you arguing with Mother?" She whispered, "Is she sending you away?"

"No no no" I crouched down and took her hands, "Nothing like that, everything is going to be alright"

"Even with Joffrey as King?" She murmured and I swallowed heavily, pulling her in for a tight hug and chewing my lip uncertainly.

"Of course" I lied, "Don't you worry", I ran my hand through her soft golden hair, I didn't want to lie to my sister but the thought of her being scared, especially if I was to go away soon, it made me so terribly upset that I just couldn't tell the truth.

But deep down I think she understood, she knew our brother in the same way I did, his personality and the way he treated others. Myrcella was young but she wasn't unintelligent, however she was different, I looked down at her golden hair in my hand and was reminded of her heritage and I drew my eyebrows together in further concern. There was no way I could protect my siblings if anyone found out who they really were, they would be exiled and left for dead.

I pulled my sister closer.