53

I approached Lady Melisandre, she was stood over the men of the Nights Watch, all of us waiting for one dreadful but necessary event.

"Princess" She greeted me, not even turning to confirm it was me, she brought a person back from the dead and I still wondered how she knew it was me.

"Lady Melisandre" I responded in kind, "I want to ask how you did it but I know you will not tell me"

To that, she didn't respond, instead she folded her hands together on the wooden railing and pursed her lips.

"I did want to thank you" I lowered my voice, "He is a good man"

Quietly, she nodded in agreement.

I had nothing more to say to the woman, frankly I sort of feared her, she may be able to bring back the dead but I'm sure she could also put people there as well.

But before I could walk away, the door opened and Jon walked out, his face a picture of distress and sadness, I wished to take his hand but I knew this was something he needed to do alone. Something he needed to feel and suffer through.

The four traitors stood waiting, the noose's wrapped tightly around their necks, the first three spoke to Jon, I couldn't see his face but I knew it pained him. After everything that happened, they were once his brothers, even the young boy on the end, who didn't say a thing.

He faltered when it came to cutting the rope, I watched him carefully, even when he glanced just slightly to his right and met my eye. I gave a short but stiff nod, not to tell him to do it, not at all, but to remind him that I was here and I understood, I agreed with his actions.

When the traitors finally hung, I felt a weight lift of my shoulders, I hated death and violence but knowing that Jon was safe? That I was safe? It trumps any hatred that was plaguing me.

Their bodies hung limp, all four dead. Jon waited just a moment, looking at them all in turn, before turning and removing his clock, dropping it into the waiting arms of Edd. I frowned, watching as he walked away, straight past all his brothers.

I stood speechless, unsure what had really just occurred. A hand fell on mine and I jumped, looking over at Melisandre.

"Go to him" She nodded, the first real words she had actually spoken to me. I looked over at the direction in which Jon had gone then back at her, she released my hand and walked away.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
I knocked softly on the door, it wasn't his room but a young wildling pointed me in the direction that he went.

My knock was met with silence so I knocked again.

"Jon" I murmured, still nothing. My hand closed around the door handle, it was open so I slipped inside.

He was pacing but paused when he saw me.

"I'm sorry" I whispered, reaching out for his hand which he gave up willingly, I held it gently in both of mine, my thumbs moving over the back of his comfortingly.

"Did I do the right thing?" He asked, staring at the ground.

"Jon" I spoke boldly, dropping the gentle tone, at that he looked up, "They murdered you"

"They were my brothers" He responded quickly, I could see the internal battle in his eyes.

"They betrayed you" I stepped forward slightly, still holding onto to his now warm hand. "You saved so many lives"

"But I'm alive" He stated and I frowned, slightly puzzled.

"You might not have been" I reminded him, "You could never have kept them captive forever, you could never trust them and you could not have let them go. You did the only thing you could"

"Lya" He sighed sadly.

"Jon" I replied, "If I had to kill the people responsible for deaths of the people I love, for them to return, I would do it. I know you're honourable, you are a good man, but you could not forgive this"

"You would've killed your brother to save-"

"Yes" I interrupted, "To save yours, your father, my- my friends", their faces flashed before me, Jon's father being killed, Marin's throat slashed, the sword in Hordan's throat.

"I resigned from the Nights Watch" He stated, I blinked several times.

"Is that possible?" I questioned.

"I fulfilled my oath" Jon explained and I nodded in understanding, after everything, he still died.

"What will you do?" I murmured, looking up into his dark eyes.

He took a long deep breath, his jaw clenching and I felt my heart beat faster, something taking over both of us in one single moment.

Slowly, he pressed a kiss to my cheek, a warmth blossomed under my skin and I drew in a shaky breath.

When he drew back, I swallowed nervously but when I looked into his eyes again, the anxiety slipped away and I let him press his lips to mine.

Everything is silent, so calm, like the world has melted away and it is just us in this soft and beautiful moment.

When we parted, I broke into a smile and threw my arms around his neck and the next kiss was just as perfect as the first, but this one didn't stop.

His arms are around my waist, on my back, mine in his hair and on his face; I feel his smile and mimic it with my own.

My entire body melted against his, like we were just one person, two pieces of a puzzle that had been waiting for each other for eternity.

One hand released the sword at his side and it crashed to the floor, making us both jump apart slightly.

I giggled softly, letting my forehead lean against his, both of us were breathless in a good way.

"Perhaps" I began, using a hand to gently caress his cheek, "This is not the best time"

"I had to do it at least once" Jon sighed, "Been cursing myself for it since I left Winterfell"

I stood up straight, "Since Winterfell?"

"You didn't know?" He smiled just a little, "But you were betrothed to..."

"Robb" I murmured.

"I didn't think I would ever see you again" He drew a thumb over my lips, "So I let you go. But, you came back"

"I came back" I repeated, reaching up to place a soft and gentle kiss to his lips.

"I have some matters to settle" He told me sadly, "I will be back"

"I trust you" I reminded him, it meant more than we both knew.

Then he walked out the room and left me there, smiling like a little girl.