44

The walk or rather run was terrifying, my neck hurt from snapping it back and forth to check for human life. Everything hurt from the cold, my feet were constantly damp and my hands were numb from the cold but I pressed on.

Days past and all I saw was trees and the north point on the compass clamped in my frozen fingers, the dagger I stole was stashed in my stockings where I felt the cold metal all the way to my bone.

I didn't eat anything except snow, which made me wretch a little but it didn't matter.

All I could do was pray for a bit of sunlight or open land but it didn't come, not for days and when it did? I could've collapsed.

"Ah" I screamed, stumbling onto the ice a little then catching myself and breaking in what I thought was a run but it was a sad and chattering shuffle.

I even saw Castle Black and the Wall come into view and my freedom from it all, my heart began to race more so than usual and I surged ahead.

The details on the wall should've come into view but my vision wavered and so did my legs, I fell down and my hands hit the solid cold ground. I cried out in frustration and slammed my attempt of a fist into the ice, instead I just slapped it again.

After a few seconds, I got to my feet and continued my meagre shuffle across the ice towards the Castle.

It's walls loomed before me, the door waiting for me to knock, I reached up, feeling the crack of my frozen limbs and hit the knocker twice before crouching to the ground again, shivering.

Only when the door opened, I fell into a deep dark state of unconsciousness.