24

"You have to let me through" I demanded but the guards just looked at each other with a scoff and a smirk and then me, shaking their heads in sync, "But I am your princess, the sister of the King! Don't I have authority over you? You do as I command!

"Not according to our new orders" One of them replied, "We don't answer to you anymore, your grace, those are the new rules"

"But I have to speak with him urgently!" I shoved through but they grabbed me by the arms and dragged me away from the entrance to Lord Stark's cell, "Take your hands off me immediately", I commanded and pushed them away with a scowl.

"Only a select few are permitted for visits, chosen by the King himself" The other said and I let out a long sigh, folding my arms and trying to find another way, I had to speak with the Warden of the North before his fate was decided, it was incredibly difficult to speak with a man who had been exiled.

"Fine!" I took a step back in defeat but found myself up against another guard, this one had a white cloak but before I could see who it was, he was commanding the other guards

"Let her through" Ser Hordan stated, how did I know it would be him? It seemed like he was stalking me but I would accuse him of that later, if he could get me in here then maybe he would be free of those allegation. The guards looked at each other again for reassurance before they spoke, cowards.

"We can't" One of them grumbled in boredom, just repeating his former words like clockwork, Ser Hordan took out his sword as a threat and glared at them both, I was surprised that they were intimidated, I never found his red hair that threatening.

"And you would deny a member of the Kingsguard?" He responded in a menacing voice, there was a hint of a smirk on his lips, I tried to hide my surprise at his tone, I suppose I had never actually seen him acting as a proper Kingsguard, only lying when I asked him to, which was far too often.

"You don't give us our orders" The left one laughed nervously and when Ser Hordan shrugged, he looked even more worrisome, the other was far more composed.

"No, I don't" He confessed calmly, "But I do have the authority to relieve you of your duties right now or to give you another post, I could even remove you from the army entirely, send you back home with your tail between your legs, leaving you humiliated and your family dishonoured"

"Uh" The nervous one stammered and the other looked at the floor in defeat, trying to avoid answering but eventually they both gave in silently and then stepped aside.

"Many thanks" I said sarcastically and walked past them quickly before they changed their minds until I found Lord Stark sat on the floor, I hurried over to him.

"Your grace" He wheezed, looking startled to see me in this place.  

"Lord Stark, what did you do?" I crouched down, he seemed to exert an aura of defeat and it broke my heart, "What did Joffrey do?"

"Never you mind, you shouldn't be down here" He told me, "You cannot let the Joffrey know the truth, I know you know"

"I won't but I couldn't just go about my life knowing you were down here" I reminded him, "Joffrey just thinks I'm worrying about my engagement, which I am, but I know so much more than he does"

"Keep it that way" Lord Stark demanded, raising his hand to point a finger in my direction, "He cannot know the truth, your life is in more danger than you could ever imagine."

I nodded quickly.

"My daughters, I tried to get them home" He muttered, "Are they alright? Find a way to send them home, break Sansa's engagement to Joffrey"

"I've seen Sansa, she's safe" I told him and he breathed, "Arya, I wouldn't know"

"She's safe, she's too proud to be captured so easily" Lord Stark looked down, "Protect them, write to their mother, find a way to get them to her"

"I will" I breathed, "And I'll find a way to fix this, I promise"

"Go" He insisted and I did just that, finding Ser Hordan just around the corner, twiddling his thumbs.

He glanced up and pushed himself off the wall.

"Did you get what you needed?" He asked, escorting my through the hall.

"Not especially" I grumbled, "I wished for Lord Stark to offer me a loop hole or something of the sort but he seems to have given up, but I haven't"

"You should" Ser Hordan instructed.

"And why should I give up on Westeros? My brother will tear the Seven Kingdoms into tiny pieces and revel in it, I can't just step aside!" I insisted, trying to walk faster so he would leave me alone but he easily caught up and stayed that way.

"You don't understand" He continued, his voice tinted with concern that didn't go unnoticed by me, "I spent almost everyday with him now he's king, he says things, unspeakable things about you and your father, Lord Stark and his daughters, even some of the women of court, he doesn't discriminate, he talks about how he can hurt people, everyday"

"And that's why I can't stop now, he's taken too much from me" I reminded him and he grumbled in frustration.

"That is why you need to leave the city as soon as possible!" He almost shouted at me and I stopped, whirling to face him in anger.

"I tried to do just that!" I cried, "And he murdered the only person who understood me, the only person I could trust with all my heart, I can't risk anyone else I love! So, no. You don't understand, Ser Hordan, stay away from me"

And with that, I trudged off down the hallway, leaving Ser Hordan stood there in a mix of shock and concern, we had different priorities but the same goal, who knew how we would get to that goal.