45

I woke with a start, everything stiff and cold but warmth inching in from every direction. My body was aching and sore but I forced myself to push up onto my elbows and stared at the furs covering me and the fire flaming across the room.

The fire beckoned me so I stiffly shoved back the masses of covering, seeing the clean nightdress and deciding to think of it later.

My feet settled on the floor and I wobbled slightly but tried again, only slip straight onto the floor and curse myself.

Still, I pulled myself slowly to the fire, my legs still defrosting I could only assume, once there I held my hands to it but it barely penetrated the ice in my veins.

Something moved to my left and I froze, metaphorically, physically as well I guess, I was frozen.

"I would've helped you" A gruff voice came from beside the bed.

"I don't need help." I stated, shivering uncontrollably, rubbing my hands together trying to keep in the warmth.

"You were frozen through when they found you, you should rest" He continued and I maintained my focus on the fire.

"I don't need rest, I need to get over the wall" I demanded, going to lean on my arm but it couldn't hold my weight and I collapsed onto the rug again, saying more unrepeatable language.

The man finally stood up and came over, gently taking my arm and lifting me into a seated position, "Lean on me" He insisted but I shook my head, my neck clicking a little.

"I don't need your help-" I paused then looked at his face, my eyes widening slightly, "Jon Snow"

"You remember me" He sounded surprised, still holding my arm carefully, "It's been a long time"

"Years" I corrected, "And of course I do, I'm surprised you remember me, you were quite drunk when we spoke"

"How could I forget your face" He chuckled then finished with, "Your the sister of the king, daughter of my fathers best friend, Princess Lya", he rambled slightly.

"I'm no princess anymore, it's just Lya" I told him and he shrugged.

"You leave all titles at the gate here, we're all the same, you can be Lya or you can be Gerda, it doesn't matter"

"Gerda?" I frowned in confusion.

"Took care of us when we were children" He smiled fondly again.

"Of course, I'm so sorry about your father and Robb and Bran and Rickon and everything that's happened to your family." I listed off the tragedies and watched his face fall.

"I try to forget but it's hard" He admitted, "You've lost people too, haven't you?"

"My father of course, my brother, my best friend and even the person who saved my life" I spilled out my own fair share of tragedies and he nodded.

"I'm sorry" He repeated and I smiled softly.

"We can't always live in the past" I reminded him then tried to stand on my shaky legs, the fire thawing them just a little.

"You need to rest" Jon said again but I brushed him off.

"And I said I need to get past the wall" I recounted and I could hear him sigh loudly, "What?"

"I've just come back from beyond the wall and you don't want to leave" He told me, "It's not place for you"

"Stop" I held up a finger, stepping away from him and towards the door, he took a step and I took another.

"Lya-" He began.

"No!" I shouted, "You will not tell me what to feel, you will not tell me what I want, I have spent my entire life being told what I want and what I feel and where I'm going to end up and who I'm going to marry! I am leaving this country and starting over, don't you dare try and stop me!"

Jon Snow just stared at me, blinking several times then laughing again.

"Do not laugh at me!" I wobbled slightly but still caught myself.

"I'm just a bit surprised, you've changed since we first met" He raised his eyebrows and I chewed my lip thoughtfully.

"I could say the same about you" I scowled, then my left leg gave way and I crumpled, Jon reached out and caught me.

"I said you... you should..." He trailed off, our faces closer then they should be but I steadied myself and he finished, "Should rest"

"And I told you not to tell me what to do" I retorted.

"You have no clothes on, your skin is see through, your lips are blue and you cannot stand" He listed off all the reasons why I should continue to stay in bed.

"I'm fine" I stamped my foot like a toddler then the blood rushed to my head and I completely passed out.

As usual my dreams were of my family, my mother and my brother welcoming me home with open arms, Myrcella coming down the stairs to join us.

My mother would tell me that the throne was gone, we weren't kings or queens or princes or princesses, we were just a family. We would live together in a remote part of the country, perhaps a castle at the coast where I could watch little Myrcella and Tommen play in the water and my mother would hand them warm blankets on the beach when they wanted to go inside.

I wanted all of that, I always have and I knew I would never have it.

I would wake up for a few seconds, then choke out a sob when I remembered I probably wouldn't even recognise my siblings now. Not to mention that my mother would probably never release that throne, never let me go or let me go swimming in the sea.

Then I would drift back to sleep, dreaming all over again about something beautiful that would never be real.