19

I paced back and forth along my balcony, thinking up some sort of excuse to visit Lord Stark, he had already been reinstated as the Hand and so wouldn't return to Winterfell quite yet, also he was injured and wouldn't make the journey.

"Sit down, your grace" Marin gestured to the table, she'd laid out some cakes and tea but I ignored it and her until she eventually gave in, "I have some letters to respond to, I'll leave you to your thoughts"

"Yes" I insisted, practically pushing her out the room, all the plans I could think of were awful except one, but I had to find him first.

The guards slept where the servants did, I felt bad waking him up but I had no choice, I made my way through the endless corridors and stairwells until I found the guards quarters, more specifically, the Kingsguard quarters. Their names were plastered on their doors but I heard no snoring, only the sound of voices in the room on the end. I peered through the crack in the door, it was a sort of common room and I could see two guards sitting at the table: Ser Meryn and my uncle, Ser Jaime. Quietly, I backed up until I heard one of the doors open and I went rigid.

"Your grace?" The voice whispered and I had never felt such luck in my life, I spun around and came face to face with Ser Hordan Redwyne. I put a finger to my lips and gestured for him to follow me.

When we came to somewhere secluded, I began to explain:

"Lord Stark is injured"

"I'm aware"

"I need to see him"

"Can't you just... see him?" Ser Hordan responded with a raised eyebrow, quickly adding, "Your grace"

"No" I hissed, "I don't want to draw attention to myself, it could end my engagement if anyone hears me speaking to Lord Stark"

"Well what are you speaking to him about?"

"None of your business" I scowled, "Can you help?"

He grumbled something about having no sleep but eventually gave in, "I have an hour until I'm on duty with the King"

"Perfect" I told him "Follow me! Oh and you won't need that", I pulled the white cloak from his back and balled it up in the corner, he looked like he wanted to protest but I beat him there, "You can get it later"

"That's not going to stop people from knowing i'm a Kingsguard" He reminded me, following me along the corridor.

"Yes but it will draw less attention and that's what we want"

When we finally got to Lord Starks room, he had two of his own guards stationed out front, I chewed my lip as I decided how to play it.

Turning to Ser Hordan, I explained quickly and quietly, "You have to stand guard, when I tell you to ok?"

"Do I have a choice, your grace?"

"No, not really" I grimaced, standing up straight and walking round the corner as if I was just passing by, coming to face the guards.

Neither really looked me in the eye and I deduced that neither would speak unless spoken to so I cleared my throat and began.

"Lord Starks daughter has vanished again" I stated, "I was sent to inform him and his guards?"

"We aren't to leave this post" One of them said gruffly and I nodded understandingly.

"My friend, Hordan, can take over while you find her?" I offered, they looked skeptical but I continued talking, "Lord Stark sent for more guards when he felt threatened, Hordan is of House Umber, a son of Lord Jon Umber, they are loyal to Lord Stark"

Ser Hordan stepped out from behind the wall and approached, putting his best kind face on, "I can take over, it seems you probably know where the young girl goes off to better than I do"

"You search the dungeons, I'll search their quarters" The guard instructed to his friend and they took off in opposite directions, I did want to keep Lord Stark protected and I know Ser Hordan could do that.

"Stay here, I won't be long" I whispered, knocking lightly on the door until Lord Starks tired voice beckoned me inside.

"Your grace" He was startled, sitting up as best he could but I told him to rest, the room was dark and messy, he must've been bedridden since he returned, his leg was raised and bandaged.

"Don't worry yourself," I insisted and pulled up a chair beside him, "We have to make this quick, I replaced your guards with my own, they think they're searching for your daughter and when they find her, they'll come right back here"

"You want to know why I was attacked" He answered for me and I sighed, running a hand through my dark curls.

"My parents wouldn't say"

"Ser Jaime" He said almost instantly and I was taken aback, frowning at the man.

"My uncle?" I questioned, "He's a Kingsguard, if he attacks it's under my fathers command and my father didn't-"

"I don't mean to interrupt, your grace," He winced a little as he shifted his weight, "But I can explain"

"Please do"

"Your other uncle has been taken prisoner for the attempted murder of my son, Bran" He began and I nodded along, I wanted to deny it but it didn't seem like Lord Stark believed it either, "So Ser Jaime threatened me, wants me to return him but I don't have him"

"Lady Stark does" I breathed, understanding the situation, "He won't kill you because then he will lose Uncle Tyrion forever"

"Precisely" He groaned, "Lord Arryn was poisoned", he added calmly, moving his leg a little.

"Poisoned?" I gasped, "But by whom?"

"I'm yet to find out but your father isn't safe here" He hissed in pain again, "The same thing might happen to him"

"Why?" I asked, leaning forward, "What did Jon know?"

"Something that would change everything, something someone didn't want anyone to know" He muttered, "It couldn't be your father, he doesn't care if the world knows of his bastards"

I sat very silently, looking at my hands and trying to ignore my fathers infidelity.

"I found another, a baby girl" He continued, "At Lord Baelish's brothel, he wants me to stay, I think he knows something too, but before I could ask anymore I was stabbed through the leg"

"Of course, you should rest" I assured him, the voices outside rose out of nowhere.

"She's back in her room, safe and sound" One of the guards said, I stood up and went to the door.

"I'll come back" I told him and slipped out.

"What were you doing in there?" The guard accused and I sighed.

"I'm Princess Lya, I can go where I want and I was informing Lord Stark over his daughter disappearance" I tried to sound bold and in control, I think I played it off well, "But now she's safe, Hordan and I will leave you to it"

"He needs to be guarding the girls" The guard insisted and I nodded, Ser Hordan followed suit and we quickly returned to the Kingsguard quarters, I fitted his cloak again and bid him good day.

"Thank you for your help, Ser Hordan" I smiled, "You're a good man"

"It was my pleasure, your grace, come by anytime you need to do some sneaking around" He chuckled and I joined in, before I left I leaned up and gently pressed a kiss to his cheek in gratitude, leaving him stood in the hallway, swaying slightly.