20

The next morning my father left for a hunting trip, he tended to leave when things got tough and frankly I was jealous he had the choice. I would rather be anywhere else than sat at the breakfast table facing my mother.

"When is Lya's wedding?" Myrcella asked giddily, practically shaking with excitement, I glanced up at Mother who had paused with her glass halfway to her lips.

"When she is of age, darling" Mother crooned, "And of course when Lord Stark is well again, perhaps a couple months"

"How exciting!" She responded, "But will you always be up in Winterfell?"

"I'll come visit and you'll visit me!" I assured her, reaching across the table to squeeze her hand and she smiled brightly.

"I don't mind the North, but not for too long" She continued and I nodded along with a smile, the day couldn't come sooner come to think of it but this business with Lord Stark has changed the timeline slightly.

"Why did Uncle Jaime harm Lord Stark" I asked innocently, sipping my water gracefully and catching my mother's eye and holding it, she ground her teeth and smiled.

"Nothing for you to worry about" She responded, standing up and retreating from the table, "I need to speak with your brother", she insisted and disappeared from the room, I sat back with a loud sigh.

"I have some letters to write" I mumbled and almost fell out my chair.

"To Robb?" Myrcella giggled and I paused.

"Absolutely" I awkwardly laughed and left the room as quick as Mother had.

My head was spinning until I came to my conclusion, the only person who could tell me the truth about Lord Starks attack was the instigator: Uncle Jaime.

I remembered something about Uncle Jaime leaving to meet my grandfather, so I raced to the training grounds. With my father gone, he only took a few members of the Kingsguard and the others remained here with us, Uncle Jaime included. But in the middle of the day, he would be helping to train other soldiers.

When I arrived, the stench of sweat made my eyes burn but I pushed through and found my uncle in the armoury, sorting through weapons.

"Uncle Jaime" I announced myself, trying to sweep across the room in a manner that was similar to my mother, something told me that if I resembled her then perhaps he would be more willing to tell me the truth.

"Lya" He jumped and turned to face me, "Come to wish me luck?"

"Come to ask questions" I corrected, circling him like a predator and pursing my lips, "You conducted the attack on Lord Stark?"

"Lya" He began, "You shouldn't talk about matters like this"

"But I am" I hissed, "Why did you do it?"

"For-" He paused, leaning against the table, "For Tyrion"

"Uncle Tyrion?" I frowned, then returned my expression to neutral, not letting him know I was confused, "He's on the Kingsroad, travelling back from the North"

"He should've been back weeks ago" Uncle Jaime growled, "The Starks took him captive"

"Captive?" I questioned then let the cogs in my brain spin a little before talking again, "They think he's responsible for what happened to Bran"

"He isn't" Uncle Jaime quickly defended, "But I thought, I was impulsive. I wanted to find a way to get him back but-"

"But Lord Stark doesn't have him" I whispered, thinking for a moment, Lord Stark would never take such matters into his own hands, he's calm and collected and understand justice, true justice, "Lady Stark does"

"I can't get to him from here" He responded, but something was plaguing me, why would Lord Stark knowingly allow Lady Stark to take Uncle Tyrion when he was aware that my uncle wasn't the culprit? Then it dawned on me, Lord Stark didn't know.

"So you're going into the field" I finished, pushing away my thoughts and nodding carefully, "Good luck, I'll leave you to pack up your things"

I quickly left the training grounds and returned to the Keep, while I was racing through the gardens, I heard familiar voices and I slowed down, staying out of sight behind the flowers.

"The South doesn't seem to agree with you" My mother was speaking and pushed out my jaw in disbelief, who was she manipulating now.

"I know the truth that Jon Arryn died for" It was Lord Stark, I clamped my hand over my mouth and retreated further into the greenery.

"Oh do you, Lord Stark?" She smirked, "Is that why you called me here? To pose me riddles?"

"Has he done this before?" He seemed to be pointing at something so I glanced round quickly and saw he was gesturing to his eye, and I saw the bruise on hers and put two and two together.

"Jaime would've killed him" She said proudly, "My brothers worth a thousand of your friend"

"Your brother" Lord Stark paused, "Or your lover?", I felt a cold feeling in my stomach and thought I was going to be sick, clutching my throat nervously.

"Targaryens wed brothers and sisters for 300 years to keep bloodlines pure" She justified, "Jaime and I are more than brother and sister, we shared a womb, came into this world together, we belong together"

"My son saw you with him" Lord Stark accused, my eyes widened and I quickly realised what happened that day at the tower but my mother didn't admit or deny the claims, in face she didn't say anything for a minute.

"Do you love your children?" She asked and he responded quickly.

"With all my heart"

"No more than I love mine"

"And they're all Jaime's" He finished and she clapped back easily but I fell to the floor in disbelief, he was wrong about us. He had to be wrong, Uncle Jaime could NOT be my father, I looked like my father through and through, I was a Baratheon.

"Thank the gods" She chuckled, "In the rare event Robert leaves his whores for long enough to stumble drunk into my bed, I finish him off in other ways, in the morning he doesn't remember"

"You've always hated him" Lord Stark practically spat at her.

"Hated him?" She repeated calmly, "I worshipped him, every girl in the Seven Kingdoms dreamed of him but he was mine by oath and when I finally saw him on our wedding day, in the Sept of Baelor, lean and fierce and blackbearded. It was the happiest moment of my life, and that night he crawled on top of me, stinking of wine, and did he did what little he could do and whispered in my ear: Lyanna.", I clutched my arms and blinked back the tears, no wonder she didn't want to call me Lya. "Your sister was a corpse and I was a living girl and he loved her more than me"

"When the king returns from his hunt, I'll tell him the truth, you must be gone by then, you and your children, save your eldest" He instructed, I felt my heart jump a little, "I will not have their blood on my hands, go as far away as you can with as many men as you can because wherever you go, Roberts wroth will follow you"

"And what of my wroth, Lord Stark? Abandon my daughter and run? Impossible" She chuckled, "You should've taken the realm for yourself, Jaime told me about the day Kings Landing fell, he was sitting in the Iron Throne and you made him give it up. All you needed to do was climb the steps yourself, such a sad mistake"

"I've made many mistakes in my life but that wasn't one of them" He shot back confidently.

"Oh but it was" Mother retorted, "When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die, there is no middle ground" and I heard her move away and start back the way she came, leaving Lord Stark alone. So I quietly ran back to my room, avoiding both him and my mother.

Once I got there, I sifted through my desk until I found a clean sheet of paper and quickly scrawling a message to Lady Stark, insisting on my uncles innocence, assuring her she had the wrong man, telling her everything I had just heard.

When I'd scribbled her name down, I couldn't put any sort of location, who knows where she was, I thrust it into the hands of the nearest servant.

"As soon as possible" I hissed and scuttled away, hiding out in my room, praying to the gods that Lord Stark knew the real truth of my parentage