48

It was another couple hours before Jon returned, I had gotten caught up in a book about the history of the Wall, it wasn't awfully interesting but it was better than nothing.

"Is everything alright?" I sat up when he walked in and he just sighed, taking his seat at the table, I immediately went to sit opposite him, "What's happened?"

"Stannis Baratheon is dead" He announced quickly and swiftly, looking up at me awkwardly then back to the table.

It felt like the air had left my lungs, not out of grief or even relief, just shock really. Stannis was my uncle after all, the closest relation to my father that I had left and his death was a blow. However, he would never have aided me in any way, he probably would've killed me to maintain his claim to the throne.

"Are you alright?" He whispered, reaching across the table, I moved my hands away instinctively, he couldn't see me as vulnerable right now, no one could.

"He wasn't my uncle anymore, not truly" I replied, faking a light smile, "He lost that privilege a long time ago"

"Lya-" Jon began but I just scraped back my chair and left the table.

"It's done" I stated and returned to my book and he to his scrolls.

The silence grew thick and my guilt ebbed away at me, especially as he stopped reading the scrolls and just tossed them on the desk in front of him.

I wanted to say anything, my mouth opened for a split second before the boy rushed in and Jon and I both looked up in curiosity.

"Lord Commander!" He announced, "it's one of the wildings you brought back, says he knows your Uncle Benjen, says he still alive"

Jon stood up, his chair almost falling over, "Are you sure he's talking about Benjen?", his hands were firmly planted on the table in front of him.

"Said he was First Ranger" The boy continued, "Said he knows where to find him", but Jon was already storming out the room, so he followed closely. I shoved off my blanket and rushed after, completely ignoring my cloak or anything to keep the cold out.

I paused at the top of the stairs, watching from the balcony, this moment was his, not mine. He conversed with an older man as he trudged across the courtyard, I threaded my fingers together and leaned my arms on the wooden fence.

Then I saw him pause, I couldn't quite see what was happening but it felt odd, I rushed across the upper levels to see better, but all I could see was Jon staring at something, whatever it was, it wasn't a person. He glanced up at me for just a second and I saw something in his eyes, I tried to use my own to plead with him but he looked away.

As he turned around, the first man drove the knife into his middle and I cried out, covering my mouth with my hands to stifle the noise. Then another came and did the same, each one driving their knife into his middle and uttering the same words.

"For the watch"

Jon fell to his knees in agony and I felt my tears fall, the only distraction was the boy from before, approaching him too. For a moment, I thought he may be too cowardly to even pull out his knife but then he did and plunged it into his mentors chest, spitting the same foul words.

Then he fell to the floor, and they walked away, leaving him to die in the cold. I spun round, looking for the stairs but they were too far away so I just ducked under the fencing and landed hard in the snow, running to his fallen figure.

"Jon" I whispered, "Get up"

Nothing, he just stared blankly up at the sky.

"Jon, please" I repeated, "These people need you"

Nothing.

"I need you" I murmured into the darkness, but the blood still trickled into the white snow, leaving his body until he was cold and empty. A corpse.

I cried few tears but tears as the same, he had helped me in more ways than one and yet when he needed help the most, all I could do was stand and watch as his own men killed him. I felt like a coward myself, standing over his body like a widow crying for her fallen husband, except again I was mourning a glimmer of hope in an otherwise dismal looking future.

A/N

hello, sorry for not writing for a little bit, i actually got covid yikes. all good tho so i guess this was the chapter for some build up anyway. ok. have a good one.